Best brakes

Discussion forum for the venerable 510, and its non-US counterparts, the Datsun 1600 and Bluebird.
exile27

So I've decided to start planning out my mods for my 510. The first thing that needs to be fixed is the breaks.

I'm not going to get too crazy in the power department, but I would like to be in the 250rwhp range eventually. So these stock brakes have got to go.

I've noticed that there are about a billion options to chose from when it comes to a upgrading the brakes. I want to have disks all around. What is the best route to take?

arkitekz

the easiest to find information I would say is doing the 200sx rear calipers w/ brackets. Go to http://www.the510realm.com and do a search. check this site out too for the 200sx calipers, http://www.datsuns.com/510/brakes/510brackets.htm

for the front i have seen most people swap out the complete strut assembly, disc brakes, rotors from a 280zx. do you research on the years. there are tons of options. the510realm.com is a great source. i did 280zx disc in the front and rear. there is an article on the dimequarterly site on how to do it. The front is a straight swap for most dic brakes, the rear almost always needs some sort of fabrication unless you keep your drums. Some people may tell you that just upgrading the front will be fine. im not an expert but keep searching, you will find what you need.

exile27

Thanks for the input. I have been searching, and oyu're right there are tons of choices. Are you pretty happy with your set up?

arkitekz

so far yeah. they are a little stiff but they are cool. whats funny is that it took me so long to actually finish the swap. I started in the summer 06 and finally finished and drove the car this january. i was laggin. hell i even forgot how my old drums felt. lol. but the brakes respond well when i floor it.

Gensaiken
Car: 71 Datsun 510

yeah, a lot of people do the 280ZX set up.

Some people go as far as doing a 280ZX strut with a 300ZX rotor and caliper. It does convert your car over to a 5lug and gives you some beasty brakes. It is usually considered excessive to do that because the 510 with an engine swap doesn't weigh as much as a 300ZX.

With enough power it might not be a bad option to slow down quicker.

Return to “Datsun 510 / Bluebird”