Best alternator for the J30?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
J30ZX
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30

Just as title says. Beginning to suspect alternator has "dropped a diode," leading to the car not starting and severely drained (and summarily ruined) batteries. Still functions enough to fool you... Seriously, that and the "crank sensor" - aside from a parasitic draw.... - are the only things left to explain it. Really.

So then. I looked at alternators, and I see some options...

1. Used OEM J30 alternator EBay, 60 bucks or so, supposedly out of a J30. Reviews say yard shipped them the wrong part once. Ad shows a J30 sitting in a scrapyard in California ...

2 and 3 are Autozone Duralast alternators. Both are 90 amp. One is a "Premium Reman," the other a "Duralast Gold, designed for maximum longevity."

The fourth is a 180 amp unit from Advance Auto...

Which one would you go with, any "fitment issues," and why?

Oh, and, also.. can this be *easily* changed by a mobile mechanic on the street, an alternator on a 1993 J30 (used one says it is from a 1994) or not really?

jertapper
Car: 1996 J30

I didn't have any problems with an autozone one. In fact it was very convenient to take it back there when my valve cover leak coated it with oil and killed it and I got a new one under warranty (I did the valve cover job before putting the fresh one on :biggrin: ).

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”