Best air filter?

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
dal455
Car: G35

I need a new air filter on my 03 sedan. considering the washable Fram, but can i get more HP from the cone type? and without permenent modification. it looks like the factory set up a nice system.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

You're not going to see huge gains by just changing the filter. I took out the stock airbox and installed the JWT popcharger filter and I replaced the stock intake tube with one from the 350Z. It seems to give very similar gains to a CAI, a couple hp and definetly a better sound. Easy install and fairly cheap. A lot of times you can pick up a the intake tube for free from some of the 350Z guys who opted to install a CAI.

I'm not going to recommend a fram filter over what you already have in there. You're just not going to see the gains.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

I agree that the JWT pop charger and Z tube is probably the best bang for your buck. I just installed the Z tube only today (still waiting on pop charger) and I noticed a better sound under WOT and different exhaust note for some reason. The used Z tubes can be had for 40-50 shipped and check out everythingg35.com or g35parts.com for the JWT pop charger. It was 119 shipped. Not a bad price, considering JWT wants 179. Once I get it installed I can give a review from experience.

GMAN69
Car: 2004 G35 coupe 6mt

I installed a Fram filter into a stock engine. If I now install a OEM Z tube, with that combination is it worth it.

rydwhite

I think the Z tube will always be worth it.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I agree... I dont really think theres much to be had in the stock airbox, but the Z tube is definitely the way to go!!

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Any pics of the Z intake on a G35?

RED_DET
Vendor

OEM intake tube from sedan:

Z tube and POP Charger installed on sedan:

As you can see from the two pics, the OEM tube has a big resonator that hangs down into the engine bay and the z tube is a straight through designe with no resonator. Good Mod for $50 used.

In my earlier post I said the Z tube changed the intake note somewhat. Now combined with the Pop Charger, it's insane under WOT around 4000rpms. Plan to add a plenum spacer in the future which will even enhance the sound more. I have a coupe exhaust mid pipe coming in the mail, once I get that on, I will provide a review of all three items combined together.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Nothing like sucking in that performance crippling hot engine bay air in summer!

Of course, this set up is best for leasers who don't want to keep their car for the long haul as the large particals admitted by the cone filter will increase wear substantially.

Ever wonder how much Nissan spent on the resonator design and why it is there?

RED_DET
Vendor

Don't give out information that you have no clue about. Not saying that you don't. But there are some many arguments about the topic of particles being sucked in the engine, you could go on until the end of time. Until someone actually does a study over a long period of time, none of us will ever know the real truth. So I guess the NISMO CAI that is made for any NISSAN car is not good in the long haul as well. Even though its made by NISSAN. So basically that statement you made contradicts its self to Japan and back. Oh, as far as sucking in heat from the engine bay in the summer time, would it make a difference if it was going through a big black airbox? NO. All intakes are designed to work while the car is moving, not sitting idling. If you look at the G's design for the intake, the "RAM" air part of the intake is stilled used in conjuction with the POP charger.

If you take care of the motor, change the oil routinely and clean/oil the filter properly, you aren't going to be able to tell the difference on the same motor after 100k miles. It's not like we are driving around in a cloud of dust constantly.

joe603

RED_DET wrote:Don't give out information that you have no clue about. Not saying that you don't. But there are some many arguments about the topic of particles being sucked in the engine, you could go on until the end of time. Until someone actually does a study over a long period of time, none of us will ever know the real truth. So I guess the NISMO CAI that is made for any NISSAN car is not good in the long haul as well. Even though its made by NISSAN. So basically that statement you made contradicts its self to Japan and back. Oh, as far as sucking in heat from the engine bay in the summer time, would it make a difference if it was going through a big black airbox? NO. All intakes are designed to work while the car is moving, not sitting idling. If you look at the G's design for the intake, the "RAM" air part of the intake is stilled used in conjuction with the POP charger.

If you take care of the motor, change the oil routinely and clean/oil the filter properly, you aren't going to be able to tell the difference on the same motor after 100k miles. It's not like we are driving around in a cloud of dust constantly.
I would have to agree with you. Car manufacturers are more concerned with intake noise, than performance. The above set-up looks like it would make the intake more efficient, with increased noise. Most enthusiasts will like the results.

rydwhite

RED_DET wrote:Don't give out information that you have no clue about. Not saying that you don't. But there are some many arguments about the topic of particles being sucked in the engine, you could go on until the end of time. Until someone actually does a study over a long period of time, none of us will ever know the real truth. So I guess the NISMO CAI that is made for any NISSAN car is not good in the long haul as well. Even though its made by NISSAN. So basically that statement you made contradicts its self to Japan and back. Oh, as far as sucking in heat from the engine bay in the summer time, would it make a difference if it was going through a big black airbox? NO. All intakes are designed to work while the car is moving, not sitting idling. If you look at the G's design for the intake, the "RAM" air part of the intake is stilled used in conjuction with the POP charger.

Well said.

srttmad

Did you do the install yourself? Was it easy or do you recommend I take it in to get the work done?

RED_DET
Vendor

Yes, you can install it yourself. Will take you about 30-45 mins. Instructions are short and simple.

srttmad

What do you think about all those intakes on Ebay that sell for about $20 plus shipping?

RED_DET
Vendor

Junk.... Its $20 for a reason, CHEAP. Buy a good brand name setup. You can get the JWT Pop charger and Z tube for $179 or the Z tube and K&N drop in airfilter for $109. You can also find the used Z tubes for around $40-50 and then buy the Pop Charger alone new for $119 or a K&N filter drop in for $40. Your choice, but don't buy no ebay junk.

steven0720
Car: G35/ 240sx/Accord

i like my HKS RS intake. it gives the look and performance, but kinda pricely

rydwhite

I've heard good things about HKS, but I haven't heard from anyone who has one on the G. Is there much noticeable gain?

namwons_240
Car: 97' 200sx ser

ive always heard that the apexi power intake was best in flow, hp gain, and filtration...but this was like 5 years ago so...

joe603

Well I decided to go with the JWT PopCharger/Z tube combo. Can't wait to install on my new baby! And I was only going to get the clear turn signals...lol!

rydwhite

I know the feeling. That's how it allows happens. I was just going to get this, but then I decided that I had to have this too. It only gets worse. You are officially an addict now. Congratulations.

RED_DET
Vendor

joe603 wrote:Well I decided to go with the JWT PopCharger/Z tube combo. Can't wait to install on my new baby! And I was only going to get the clear turn signals...lol!
I said the same thing too. In 2mos I have had windows tinted, installed JWT Pop/Charger & z tube, coupe/350z springs, coupe wheels, clear corners and Plenum spacer is on the way.

myg35ss
Car: Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT Supercharged

Beware !

The replacement of the intake tube and filter is a very popular retro-fit for enthusiasts and a boon for the dealers afterwords. Interference with the replacement tube (even to Z tube) with the AC hose running on its underside has sent many an owner to the dealer with a hole rubbed in the line. It is a costly oversight and can be easily avoided if your aware of the interference while doing the install.

joe603

myg35ss wrote:Beware !

The replacement of the intake tube and filter is a very popular retro-fit for enthusiasts and a boon for the dealers afterwords. Interference with the replacement tube (even to Z tube) with the AC hose running on its underside has sent many an owner to the dealer with a hole rubbed in the line. It is a costly oversight and can be easily avoided if your aware of the interference while doing the install.
Thanks for the heads up! I might have to put a hose sleeve on the A/C hose.

jtesensky
Vendor
Car: 2005 QX56, 2002 QX4

I've got the Z-Tube/JWT Pop on my Coupe. It's a great little mode, even if the horsepower gain is minimal. It's gives the car a great engine growl. Do that in conjunction with the Borla exhuast and you won't be unhappy, trust me!

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Hello all...I'm a newby here and just cruis'n around checking the boards. I have an 05 G35 Coupe...I swapped the filter out and threw in a K&N cone filter. No big difference... I imagine the exhaust should be the next step in order to see a difference. I'm no car tech by any means...just what I was told!G whizz

RED_DET
Vendor

AFter the intake, your next mod should be the plenum spacer. The 5/16 spacer will be the best choice over the 1/2" spacer. The 5/16 adds power over a broader range, up to 10-11whp. This mod works best on the non rev up motor though. If you have a rev up motor, you need to get the rev up manifold. It's more costly than just a spacer, but is suppose to add 15-18whp and 20+ in torque. I will give my review of the 5/16" spacer next week.

joe603

so this spacer rises the intake manifold? sounds like major maintenance. Anybody have it installed now? Thoughts...

RED_DET
Vendor

NO major maintenance. It takes about 40min to install. It just a spacer for the top section of the plenum. Those that have done the mod, love the mod. Apparently the front two runners are starved for air on the OEM design on the 03-04 motors. The REV UP doesnt respond as well with just a spacer.

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/G35.asp

joe603

What about the 05s? Did they address the problem (maybe thats why the HP numbers are up????

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”