Belts, Thermostat and Fan

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
DrewQ45

Examined my fan and found that some of the many cracks have now increased in length...it's time for a change. It's so bad I might just stop driving the Q till I get the new fan in. I picked up one from a junked Q a few months ago with clutch intact and it didn't have any cracks. Since it's time to do the belts anyway, I figured I'd make one thing of it. Just ordered belts and thermostat from Joe.

I'm at work right now and can't remember... does the fan shroud split in the middle or will I need to remove the whole thing? Also, my water pump was last changed when I did my guides at T3. That's about 4 years ago.... I'm wondering if I should just change that too.

...Drew...

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

my 96 still has the original waterpump,thermostat,hoses,and idler pullys at 170,000 miles! thinking of replacing them all as a precaution,even though tech says pump and pullys seem fine with no wobble or noises in bearings! how much warning will pump and pullys give when they start to fail?

DrewQ45

qship96 wrote:my 96 still has the original waterpump,thermostat,hoses,and idler pullys at 170,000 miles! thinking of replacing them all as a precaution,even though tech says pump and pullys seem fine with no wobble or noises in bearings! how much warning will pump and pullys give when they start to fail?
Don't know about the pulleys but you definately want to change the thermostat and water pump asap. The pump may make a noise, feel rough when turned free (best time to check is when changing belts) but it usually starts leaking prior to failure. The thermostat..well, it just sticks in open or closed position. You'll be able to tell when your temp gauge goes into the red or runs too cool... usually the former and something you don't want to see at all. If anyone's interested, the belts, t-stat and delivery came up to about 50 bucks.

...Drew...

JT_MONEY_2004
Car: 1990 Q45, Pearl

You'll need to remove entire shroud to get the fan blade out.

PopPop
Car: 1990-91 infiniti Q45's, S13 Coupe, 3rd GEN. Max

Just installed remote external trans. cooler and I put fan shroud back on then I installed Fan Clutch Assembly. Four years is not enough time for Water Pump failure! Just check for pulley play north to south east to west if you don't have more than a 1/4 inch play it should be fine. Oem W.P. last a long time unless coolant system is neglected. Clean all surfaces good for proper sealing. Use grey high temp. RTV. My temp. gauge was fine dead center but, when I performed Nissan Consult. It showed coolant temp. was only 160 F after car had been running for 45 minutes. Nissan thermostats are 76 C or 170 F. After I installed the heater was running a lot hotter! Make sure you install T.S. properly with R. Pin at top of T.S. housing.

Jesda

My original WP lasted 11 years and 160k. OEM would last probably half or less.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”