Belts Squeaking on a Pathfinder!

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
rusty006
Car: '05 Pathinder XE

New to the Club with my first post!!!

2005 Pathfinder (basic model)18,090 KM (Kilometres - in Canada)Had it since brand new.

Belts were squeaking and it needed a servicing.

Took it in for a servicing and found out the belts are warrantied for 20,000 KM or 1 year.... had the vehicle for two so am paying $165.00 for the replacement of the belts. I have talked to Nissan Canada and they don't seem to want to budge on the belt warranty and pointed me back to the dealership's service Manager.

The dealership won't just tighten the belts as the 'Finder has 'automatic tensioner'? I have asked for the old belt so I can see what the problem is.

Does this sound correct? IE: Does the '05 Pathfinder have 'automatic tensioners'?Has there been a problem with belts needing to be replaced? I'm thinking they should be lasting over 50 KM at least (but I don't really know...yet)!!

Thanks in advance for any help/answers provided. I'm off to pick it up and pay the bill!!
Modified by rusty006 at 3:47 PM 7/17/2007

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

Sounds like you got hosed. Thank you Nissan!

I replaced my OEM belts at 120K miles. They were better than the new ones I had put on. (they squeak when I start up now. SOB!)

Don't know if the newer R50's have automatic tensioner. Quien sabe. Sorry, wish I could help you there. But belts going out that fast, sounds like a hacck job to me. Better ask for your money back.

Buzzman
Car: 2017 Mazda 6 GT
2023 Kia Stinger Elite V6 AWD.

I have to agree....you got hosed. No way should the belts go bad that quickly.I have an '02 Pathfinder with 170,000 Kms on it, and living in Ottawa, I get the crappy winter weather. I'm still running with the original belts.They look a little shiny, and the dealership keeps telling me to change them, but I won't.They don't squeak or slip, so I'll run them until they break.Keep after them for a refund. Also, I wouldn't necessarily blame Nissan Canada either. The dealership should have stepped up to plate on this one.Good luck.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

I don't know about the engine in your pathfinder, but in my 99 there def. are tensioners, which should be replaced along with a t-belt, but i dont know what an "automatic" tensioner is. The belts can definitely be tightened on the 96-01 VG33E engine, but I know nothing about 2005 Pathfinders. Is your engine a VQ35?

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

Tensioners are supposed to be replaced with a timing belt? SOB! (Again!)

I think the shop didn't do that on mine. That's what ended up being the sound I'm hearing, is the tensioners making noise. They let me listen with the stethoscope and as far as I can tell they weren't ****ting me.

Gotta go back and check that work order...

rusty006
Car: '05 Pathinder XE

The continuing saga....

Firstly, sorry I didn't answer the posts very quickly was tooo busy at work.Firstly, again, thanks for the replies.

NOW the good part. After I was told they couldn't just tighten because of the 'auto tensioners' and that the truck was ready, I got busy on the phone at work. Then I notice a voice mail message and it's from the service rep. He informs me that he talked with a Technician (Mechanic I'm guessing), and the Tech said sometimes the Tensioner can cause wear of the belts. So they replaced the Tensioner Pulley under warranty and therefore replaced the Serpentine Belt under warranty because they traced the belt fault to the Tensioner Assembly.

I am happy I didn't get the big bill but I didn't get the parts returned. So I left there paying $50 for the service and a having a smile on my face. Although I haven't talked with the service rep yet because I had to pick up the truck after the service dept. had shut down for the day.

Regarding the Engine, not sure how to find out what model #...but I can say the truck is a

2005 Pathfinder XE with the 4.0L, 24V, DOHC V6 (270HP) And it flies!!

Can you tell me how to get the engine model number? I am going to ask the Service rep tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”