BEING REASONABLE IN BODY REPAIR OR MECHANICAL TO MY G37?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
PHX08G37
Car: 2008 G37 Journey

I am concerned with shops who advertise INFINITI certified yet don't assign a tech trained in INFINITI processes. The use of Position Statements, I am finding out, is not regularly sought out or used.

Sooo... is it really important mechanics or body guys follow INFINITI recommendations or use INFINITI equipment, tools or TSB's? It seems the dealership is not interested in body work or accident repair and sublet the work out. Leaving you not knowing where they are sending it or if they are INFINITI trained techs.
People insinuate "its just a car" but all my research shows my G37 needs certain parts, torque tolerances, etc. Am I being silly when they blatantly lie to me (like, "the unibody can't get damaged") and letting them get away with it? :help: :confused:

Thanks, Gloria

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Almost all dealerships sublet body work. You're generally best off finding a shop who sublets to a body shop under the same ownership umbrella. That way if it has mechanical or electrical issues that the body guys need advice about, they can pick up the phone. If it has post-repair issues that need tech attention, the body guys just pass along the information and it gets resolved before delivery to you. Our ownership has many different brands, but the collision work all goes through one umbrella shop. They consult us when necessary, and it works out better for everyone that way.

PHX08G37

:gotme I'm confused, you said "You're generally best off finding a shop who sublets to a body shop under the same ownership umbrella"... is that finding a Infiniti dealership who will sublet the body work out and do the mechanical? and
"That way if it has mechanical or electrical issues that the body guys need advice about, they can pick up the phone." the body guys would get advice and then fix the mechanical or electrical? and
"the collision work all goes through one umbrella shop" it doesn't seem that the body shop tech knows much about mechanical, how would they know if your car needs to be looked at mechanically?
When I picked up my G37 and test drove it the sound that was created by the hit & run was still there but they couldn't hear it. I was told to take it to my mechanic or dealership and I have found no one wants to break it down to look for a problem.
Sooo... is it really important mechanics or bodyshops follow INFINITI Position Statements or use INFINITI equipment, tools or TSB's?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PHX08G37 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:23 pm
I'm confused, you said "You're generally best off finding a shop who sublets to a body shop under the same ownership umbrella"... is that finding a Infiniti dealership who will sublet the body work out and do the mechanical?
I don't get the confusion, but that specifically isn't what I said. Virtually all dealerships sublet. Here in central Arkansas, you can count the number of dealerships with in-house bodyshops on the fingers of one finger. What I said was, find one that sublets to a shop under the same dealership umbrella, so at least there's cooperation.
PHX08G37 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:23 pm
Sooo... is it really important mechanics or bodyshops follow INFINITI Position Statements or use INFINITI equipment, tools or TSB's?
For technicians, certainly. Your chances of finding a bodyshop that has Infiniti special tools is basically zero. Bodyshops are generalists by nature. If you use one that's under the same umbrella as the Infiniti dealer, at least they'll have access to that stuff.

PHX08G37

Thanks, I'm just bummed my car got hit and I have had to really dig into what to expect from body repair and mechanical repair and making sure safety was on their minds. There is a lot to learn.

I believe now that bodyshops that don't have CONSULT really shouldn't do pre and post scans on INFINITI cars. That's how I ended up with the bodyshop clearing a code they didn't understand.
Thanks again, Gloria

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep, that's correct. They should have sent it to the dealer shop for any codes that they didn't specifically understand or know the cause. If they just cleared stuff indiscriminately and didn't document it, that was dumb.

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”