Before buying a 2017 QX80...

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
Wankel49
Car: 2017 QX80

I’m doubt these issues are new to this forum but I just realized how much you might have to spend on a 2017 QX80 after the warranty runs out. There are three known issues with this car that will be expensive - 1) Air bag light flashing 2) Catalytic converters failing and 3) Dead batteries. The air bag issue was a periodic flashing of the airbag light. Some times it was on all the time. It took three long repair visits with the car at Infiniti more than a month to get it resolved. First, the air bag controller was changed out. Then, another air bag controller and the passenger curtain air bag were changed out. Finally, the entire wiring harness behind the dash and the one running down the right side of the car were replaced. I had a loaner QX80 for all that so the impact was minimal but here’s the killer. The estimate of what they spent to fix it was $15000. The second issue was dead batteries and battery replacement. Infiniti tells me the battery isn’t being charged all the time by design to improve gas mileage. If you make more short trips, your battery will slowly die to the point of needing replacement - maybe even annually. While under warranty, this problem is what it is. After the warranty runs out, Infiniti can and will make a very small mod that will turn off this feature. Your battery will charge any time the car is running and your mileage may drop a smidge. I’ll be doing that. They replaced my battery under warranty. The third issue is this car apparently has issues with the catalytic converters per Infiniti. I wasn’t given any details and didn’t ask. He did say the cost for replacement was $4000.

So imagine you buy a 2017 QX80 and in the first year after the warranty runs out you get hit with a bill for $19000 and you need a new battery. So I recommend this - get your hands on the maintenance records no matter what it takes and see if these problems have been resolved. If not, just recognize the risk.

We’ve been treated well by the Infiniti dealer and really do love the car. I just felt compelled to give future buyer a heads up so you can do your research.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”