Battery terminal issue

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

I can NOT keep the positive battery terminal to stay tight enough. About 2-3 times a week, I have to tap it with a hammer to start the Pathfinder. Terminals are clean and corrosion free. Any suggestions?

04pathse
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2008.5 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3

replace the terminal or get new cable

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

I don't have this issue, but to make sure the terminal is secure enough, I reshaped the cable ring to be a little "oval", so it will bite "into" the battery terminal. Could it be the terminal is somewhat trapezoidal and cable would gradually slide loose? Will a thin piece of copper around terminal help?

Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

QX4ME wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:47 am
I don't have this issue, but to make sure the terminal is secure enough, I reshaped the cable ring to be a little "oval", so it will bite "into" the battery terminal. Could it be the terminal is somewhat trapezoidal and cable would gradually slide loose? Will a thin piece of copper around terminal help?
I actually thought about flat braided copper wire this morning. But don't want to buy a roll of it to get 2" worth.

RoyDaGeneral
Car: 2002 Infiniti QX4 2WD

Some six months ago, I replaced the battery, put Interstate" from Costco. The posts were a little smaller so it was not a great fit. I went to Oreilly's and got battery post shims, made of lead. In the past when I used copper shims, it reacted negatively with battery's lead terminals; developed a lot of salt/ash like residue. Here is a link to what I got.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/su ... 259?pos=16

I could not use an entire shim on each post, shim was too thick, so I ended up splitting it in half, which worked fine.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”