Battery Replacement

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Alphax
Car: 2006 Moonlight White M35 Sport

Now thats its colder here. I've had a couple times in the morning where I go to start the M and it sounds a bit weak for a second then fires up. Im heeding that warning and want to get my battery checked/replaced.

Do I remember correctly that the dealer prorates and replaces batteries under warranty? Or do we just go buy outright like I'm used to. Also, recommendations on batteries and how much is involved in replacing I've had cars that were a dream and ones that were a nightmare to replace.

Thanks in advance.

antzrus
Car: '06 M35x Premium/Obsidian/Bourbon/
Rosewood/XM/Tint/
ClearBra/SteelSkidPlate/Genuine CoCo Mats/Michelin CrossClimate2/Nav Hack/M-1

I went to my local Sears. They have a gadget that keeps 12 volts going thru your system so you don't lose all your settings (a pain in the derriere).

Hell, this is a premium machine, so I got the premium battery-the Diehard Platinum. No hassle whatsoever.

unclefester
Car: 2006 M35x

Yep, the Diehard Platinum,thats what I installed..took me about 40 minutes to do.

loystock
Car: 10 Pilot, 97&03 Q45s, 97 I30 and 06 M35 Sports (04 G35 & 99 I30-RIP)

Just make sure you buy Group 34R (Reverse Post Polarity) and not Group 34. Things can get ugly if you installed battery with incorrect polarity

OEM is 110D26L, 12VDC, 75AH and 720CCA

Replacing a battery in an M35 may be agonizing if you don't know, but will only take you @ 30mins if you know.

Tools needed: 10mm socket & drive (for battery connector and bracket); small screw driver for releasing plastic clips; optional steel brush for cleaning connectors; optional battery connector protectant (avoid oxidation).

The battery is in the engine compartment, pax side, close to the firewall so all plastic covers on that side must be removed to access the battery.-remove front cover above W/S washer reservoir (2 clips underneath)-remove battery cover-remove battery liner (5 plastic clips)-remove the rubber trim halfway to expose the split on the plastic trim below the windshield.-remove 2 plastic clips on pax side plastic trim (AC air intake)-separate the pax side plastic trim from the driver side, then remove it-disconnect battery leads (10mm socket)-remove battery bracket (10mm socket).Note: The front support for the bracket is hooked to the battery tray while the rear support is hooked to the firewall. Installing the rear hook may be tricky with the battery in place so better take note of the slot for the hook on the firewall. You can tape it if you want to.-remove battery and clean the connectorsNote: With the battery removed, you can also check the condition of the Cabin Air Filter.-install the new batteryCAUTION: MAKE SURE THE BATTERY POSTS MATCH THE BATTERY CONNECTORS - POSITIVE ON THE RIGHT (when facing the W/S) and NEGATIVE ON THE LEFT.

DELUNASC
Car: 03 M45

The dealer replaced my battery with a new " Infiniti" battery at a prorated price. Not a bad deal, as I got a good battery for cheap, a loaner car, and a free car wash.

jonlex99
Car: 06 Infiniti M35X, 06 Kawasaki Z10r, 06 G35s coupe 6smt with the 19 inch forge wheels. 02 Lexus LX470

Got a new optima red top in my M took about 30 min start to finish.

rsg123
Car: 2006 M45 Sport

antzrus wrote:I went to my local Sears. They have a gadget that keeps 12 volts going thru your system so you don't lose all your settings (a pain in the derriere).
Actually, the only settings that are lost are the radio presets, which is not much of a pain to redo (unless maybe you completely fill all three preset categories...I only use "A").

qship96
Car: 1996 Q45

I purchased the Diehard Platinum 18 months ago and so far so good.....what most people dont know is that it is actually a rebadged Odyssey pc-1500{a $300+++} battery made in the USA by Enersys corporation and also the best ever tested battery by Consumers Reports for the last 3 years.....a BARGAIN at $180

Go to http://www.odysseyfactory.com to learn more about it and see indepth information!

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

rsg123 wrote:
Actually, the only settings that are lost are the radio presets, which is not much of a pain to redo (unless maybe you completely fill all three preset categories...I only use "A").
Hmmm, I thought (my problem as I get older...) I've read herein that many folks have had all kinds of problems after taking out their batteries w/no reserve charge and then restarting their systems thereafter.

Anyone else have experience with this?

But what the heck; I took no chances and had Sears do it all. Took about 30 minutes, my hands stayed clean and I had a mocha...
Modified by antzrus at 8:41 PM 12/8/2009

medic35x
Car: 2006 M35x

i went to sears to have a diehard platinum installled. when i got into my machine i realized everything was reset and 1-touch windows werent working. i had to reprogram. i specifically asked if they hook up to 12volt machine and they said yes, well they obviously didnt! good battery nonetheless.

rsg123

medic35x wrote:i went to sears to have a diehard platinum installled. when i got into my machine i realized everything was reset and 1-touch windows werent working. i had to reprogram. i specifically asked if they hook up to 12volt machine and they said yes, well they obviously didnt! good battery nonetheless.
Oh yeah, that's the only other thing that got reset when I got my battery replaced (didn't realize it until a few days later). Very easy to fix though.

Dumamei
Car: 06 M35.

my one touch windows are not working after changing my battery.. How do you reset it?

Alphax

First off thanks alot for all of the awesome replys and the awesome writeup loystock. DieHard Platinum seems like a good bet. I was contemplating on the way to work today how I was gonna jerryrig something to keep 12v on the lead so I didnt lose anything. That Sears idea sounds great was it free install?
DELUNASC wrote:The dealer replaced my battery with a new " Infiniti" battery at a prorated price. Not a bad deal, as I got a good battery for cheap, a loaner car, and a free car wash.
Remember the cost by chance?

loystock

Enersys make Group 34 and 34R Odyssey batteries but AFAIK, Sears only has the Group 34 DieHard Platinum (equivalent to Odyssey 34-PC1500). This will not work in the M35 because of the reversed polarity. The cables are not long enough to reach the Group 34 battery poles. Most likely, Sears will offer Group 35 DieHard Platinum which is @ 1" shorter and @ 1" taller than the Group 34R.

The OEM battery has 12VDC, 75AH and 720CCA as opposed to Sears Group 35 which has 12VDC, 59AH and 740CCA. This battery from Sears sells for $189. Autozone sells a Group 24F battery, slightly longer and 1" taller, for @ $85 and with good warranty.

qship96

I think the OEM seriously "fudges" their amp/hour ratings, as you will find it almost impossible to match them in similar group size aftermarket batteries, including interstate/johnson control models, which the nissan replacement batteries are {but re- labeled nissan}

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Alphax wrote:First off thanks alot for all of the awesome replys and the awesome writeup loystock. DieHard Platinum seems like a good bet. I was contemplating on the way to work today how I was gonna jerryrig something to keep 12v on the lead so I didnt lose anything. That Sears idea sounds great was it free install?

Remember the cost by chance?
Free install? You drive an Infin$$$iti-you better not need no damn free install!!

The whole thing including battery, shop done replacement and taxes was about $220.00. The 20 oz mocha while waiting w/extra shots was about $5.00 extra.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Dumamei wrote:my one touch windows are not working after changing my battery.. How do you reset it?
See page 2-46 of your Owner's Manual ... may help.

Z

Alphax

antzrus wrote:
Free install? You drive an Infin$$$iti-you better not need no damn free install!!

The whole thing including battery, shop done replacement and taxes was about $220.00. The 20 oz mocha while waiting w/extra shots was about $5.00 extra.
Hahaha! Just asking dont we all wanna know what things cost. Prolly gonna do it myself the only reason I was considering was to save settings.

rsg123

Dumamei wrote:my one touch windows are not working after changing my battery.. How do you reset it?
If I remember correctly, you pull the window all the way down, then pull all the way up, holding it after it has reached the top for 5 seconds. You have to do this for each window... yeah, i know.

rsg123

Alphax wrote:
Hahaha! Just asking dont we all wanna know what things cost. Prolly gonna do it myself the only reason I was considering was to save settings.
Or you could just do it yourself. Just write down your radio presets and afterward reset your auto up/down windows. My battery was disconnected for about an hour. It still retained garage door programming, all navigation settings, MPG history, XM radio ID, memory seats, advanced settings (auto headlight sensitivity, etc). Oh, the trip odometer did reset to 0.0

Alphax

rsg123 wrote:
Or you could just do it yourself. Just write down your radio presets and afterward reset your auto up/down windows. My battery was disconnected for about an hour. It still retained garage door programming, all navigation settings, MPG history, XM radio ID, memory seats, advanced settings (auto headlight sensitivity, etc). Oh, the trip odometer did reset to 0.0
oh well radio presets arent a big deal I was just thinking all my nav locations, phone setup for both phones, maint intervals, all that stuff would be totally lost. Presets is no biggie lol.

rsg123

Alphax wrote:
oh well radio presets arent a big deal I was just thinking all my nav locations, phone setup for both phones, maint intervals, all that stuff would be totally lost. Presets is no biggie lol.
All of that was retained in my case.

Alphax

Well its all done. Duralast Gold was my final choice. Say what you may but its warranty and reliability ratings made it unbeatable in my eyes. Plus Autozone's are everywhere and at 3.2miles from the house if something happens we are good to go. Took about 20min no biggie. Had to reset presets and seat memory but its all good she starts up stronger than ever!

watsoncb
Car: Infiniti M35x

antzrus wrote:
Hmmm, I thought (my problem as I get older...) I've read herein that many folks have had all kinds of problems after taking out their batteries w/no reserve charge and then restarting their systems thereafter.

Anyone else have experience with this?

But what the heck; I took no chances and had Sears do it all. Took about 30 minutes, my hands stayed clean and I had a mocha...

Modified by antzrus at 8:41 PM 12/8/2009
I'm with you.

I just had my Infiniti dealer change out the battery and inside air filter in my 06 M35x.

Watched CNN & babes working at the dealer , had a mocha too!

antzrus
Rosewood/XM/Tint/

Hahahaa, babes too!! I saw your profile; organizational behaviorist. Hmm, I'm a clinical behaviorist and always in the middle of tro uble...

maqueswell
Car: M35 Sport

I just had a battery installed at the Gunn Infiniti here in San Antonio, Tx. The total cost was $168.00. Thats $20.00 cheaper than the Sears and Interstate batteries. 48 month warranty..2 year free replacement..and after that it the price becomes pro rated...so not a bad deal.

Here in South Texas you're not going to get a battery to last more than 3 years due to the heat! I had an '02 Lincoln LS battery last the entire 6 years I owned the car...but the battery was mounted in the trunk next to the spare and it was always cool back there. HUGE difference!

qship96

maqueswell wrote:I just had a battery installed at the Gunn Infiniti here in San Antonio, Tx. The total cost was $168.00. Thats $20.00 cheaper than the Sears and Interstate batteries. 48 month warranty..2 year free replacement..and after that it the price becomes pro rated...so not a bad deal.

Here in South Texas you're not going to get a battery to last more than 3 years due to the heat! I had an '02 Lincoln LS battery last the entire 6 years I owned the car...but the battery was mounted in the trunk next to the spare and it was always cool back there. HUGE difference!
Not sure I understand the logic of your statement"so not a bad deal", as for $20 more than you spent you could have bought the Sears Platinum{a rebadged Odyssey AGM battery that retails for 300-350$} that was the best ever tested battery by consumers Reports testing for the last 3 years in a row- AND comes with a 4 year full FREE Replacement warranty as compared to your 2 year guaranteed one???? You could have done MUCH better for the additional $20 investment the way I see it????

loystock

qship96 wrote:
Not sure I understand the logic of your statement"so not a bad deal", as for $20 more than you spent you could have bought the Sears Platinum{a rebadged Odyssey AGM battery that retails for 300-350$} that was the best ever tested battery by consumers Reports testing for the last 3 years in a row- AND comes with a 4 year full FREE Replacement warranty as compared to your 2 year guaranteed one???? You could have done MUCH better for the additional $20 investment the way I see it????
Absolutely RIGHT!!!

Alphax

maqueswell wrote:I just had a battery installed at the Gunn Infiniti here in San Antonio, Tx. The total cost was $168.00. Thats $20.00 cheaper than the Sears and Interstate batteries. 48 month warranty..2 year free replacement..and after that it the price becomes pro rated...so not a bad deal.

I spoke with Kelly over at Gunn. He gave me a prorated quote of $134.78 installed but 5 days to get me in. The battery was dead and I needed it NOW Plus in the future I can be in and out of the Autozone parking lot in 5min and dont have to go to the dealer. For me it was the best option.

Johnson Controls makes Duralast and the numbers werent bad either. 750 cold cranking Amps (935 cranking Amps) and 130 Reserve Capacity.

Plus 3yr free replacement and 8yr prorated was hard to beat for $87.99.
Modified by Alphax at 11:16 PM 1/4/2010

loystock

That's more practical.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”