Battery problems

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

My 1993 GXE is having some battery issues. While I was driving yesterday I noticed that the battery light was on, so I dropped it to 2nd (automatic) to keep the revs up and hopefully charge the battery. The light did dim, but only while the revs were above about 3500. When I stopped or let off the throttle, the light got bright again. I was afraid she'd die on me, so I left the car running in my friend's driveway while I knocked.I got back in and drove home and the light stayed the whole time, even while I was doing about 45 in 2nd gear. I parked and tried to start her, and everything sounded fine, started right up without chugging or anything unusual, the lights didn't even dim. I pulled into the garage, tested the ignition again, and it worked. Then this morning my mother took the car and it ran fine. She used it again later this evening and used the lights. The battery light came back on so she test-started it when she got back home. Nothing. I am trying to see the relation to using headlights, since the only times the battery light appeared was when the headlights were on. I hope it's not a severe electrical problem. Since the bat. light dimmed at higher revs, and since I just had it replaced about 18 months ago, I know its not the alternator. And I replaced the battery only about 3 months ago after the car had battery troubles then. I'm afraid I might have a serious electrical problem.

Oh yeah, also, one of those damnable automatic shoulder belts is screwy and keeps making the car ding and the seatbelt light come on even though its plugged in. I think its the passenger one, since it usually stops when I hit the clip on that one.

NISTECH

Your brake light should also be on when the battery light comes on. That does mean your altenator is having a problem. take it out and have it tested or take it to a shop and have it tested in the car.

The seat belt issue may be covered under warrenty.Get to a dealer and have them run your VIN on DCS to be sure.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

The e-brake indicator light on the instrument cluster? It wouldn't go off while the battery light was on. I charged the car last night with a 120v powered charger after thoroughly cleaning the contacts with a special wire brush designed for just that. The negative one was heavily encrusted with acid and goo. I'm going to get more of those fuzzy contact-rings and some anti-corrosive goo and see if that helps. So far all seems fine, but that's how things went yesterday too... I'm going to try driving with the lights on and see if that has any effect. Hopefully it was just the bad contact.

Thanks for the info on the seatbelt. It's been driving me nuts!

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Took the car to AutoZone and got it diagnosed...sort of. They said the battery is fine, but getting no charge from the alternator...looks like you were right. Now I get to pull the alternator so it can be isolated and tested again. Hopefully its the alternator, not the wiring, because I can install the alternator myself, but I'm not familiar with any of my car's electrical.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Figured it out!..its really wierd, though. The alternator was working until temp rose, then cutting out. I can see how that is possible, but I have never heard of that happening before. Anyone else around here ever have an alternator die at temp, then start working again when it got cold? In any car?

And just a word of advice, something I learned from this:NEVER trust anyone without a second opinion. I took my car to three shops (four including the dealership), and each one told me something different, but none of them explained the symptoms properly. The only answer that came anywhere close to making sense came from the dealership, who told me it was the alternator. I'm just glad Nissan dealerships aren't like Ford dealerships. Otherwise, I'd still be waiting for them to call me back to make an appointment.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Never heard of that problem, but I have seen some weird stuff from alternators before.

I think the weirdest problem I have ever had was with a starter. Thought it was the battery and over a few days replaced two! Eventually, I tookt he starter to AutoZone for testing. Damn thing was trying to pull 175 Amps on their test bench!! Replaced it and all was OK...

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

175 Amps! Holy CRAP! That'd burn a hole in just about anything! I'll pay you a dollar to lick it.;)

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”