Battery options

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
SUB ZERO CAR FANATIC
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45 ( SOLD)
1997 Cadillac Deville Concourse
1998 Cadillac Seville STS
2009 Infiniti QX56 LE

I am in the market for a new battery and wanted some opinions on what is best for this big SUV with high electronic demands.
I had a Autozone Gold that was in it when we bought the vehicle and it was dated 8/2019 and seems to be dead already, just from opening the doors it drops the voltage down to 11 something when my voltmeter is connected. Would not start just after having doors open for about 15 or 20 minutes while replacing the front heater blower motor ( which I think was starving for enough volts).
Anyway I have looked at Northstar , X2 Power also made by Northstar, DEKA intimidator and a few others. I was considering a AGM battery. Any opinions from experience would be very appreciated.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I also once had a battery from a chain brand (not sure which one) and it died too soon.

Odyssey (AGM Cell technology) and Bosch (traditionally Lead Acid) have excellent reputations .
On the lead acid side also Interstate batteries have a very good reputation and an excellent no questions asked warranty.

Optima , a AMG cell line, also had a good reputation back in the day but it has been diminished in recent years (though if the deal is right I might still consider it)

When it comes to AGM style batteries I would prefer Odyssey now over Optima.

I do not have Armada but an older Nissan V8 SUV which also draws high during starting and has a lot of power accessories.
I currently have a Bosch 24F lead acid in it, that I purchased on a trip when I wanted a battery now as my store chain brand AGM cell was failing (I think it was bad form beginning but this only showed up in winter)
No problems with it.

When its time to replace it will go either Odyssey (since I like AGM) or Interstate (if there are availability issues, Interstate batteries are available everywhere and a known quality product)

macgiver

First make sure , if you want the best , the biggest battery that fits in the bottom tray , and tallest one which still fits the top hold-down and doesn't stick up too high . Learn the battery designstions' / group's dimensions L H W , know what size / oversize is noted in your car's manaual and FSM for alternates .Then compare amps like 900 , reserve , standby whatever - a physically larger battery is gonna have superior specs , get the MAX for your car .
Then get the best $$$$$ battery from the Co. you choose , usually that's the better deal whereas you may not pay for ANY adjustments for 1 or 2 or more years .Example= GOLD instead of PLATINUM model.
I don't know how difficult yours is to get at , BUT buy from a place that goes through alot of batteries (means they're FRESH) , goto somewhere that WILL lean towards giving you the service , the deal , maybe install too , who will make good to keep reputation - NO NOT SEARS DIE HARD anymore .

GO TO AUTOZONE - still the best overall deal convenience , Svc. AND price ! :yesnod You've been there,right. They are on EVERY other corner , long hours , usually have well stocked too.

I spent $$ 225.00 on huge BMW battery (BMW=HEAVY on electronics) , previous owner had the smallest of three sizes that fit this Bimmer , three lengths are available and he gets the smallest - I put a MONSTER battery at the A-Zone and it holds a very good charge , I check voltage after sitting a while , Duralast is good .

p.s. I have no affiliation , nor work , or ever worked ,in any state for Autozone :rotfl

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

macgiver

Exactly , I tried , of all places , Home Depot started selling car batteries . Only like $ 10 differences in prices. For a car I was lookin to sell soon . I beleive it was Exide or Interstate, and it died......EXIDE DIED !Interstate could'nt make it across the state line ? " Once bitten - twice shy " .
NOW I go find Home Depot , and most didn't stock it, went to four locations... had to GIVE-UP pro-rated $$ too !! :wtf2:

Three other of our cars got Duralast , and install aside (which they WILL do fo you) I have gotten past 1 or two years and they simply slid me one off the shelf NO CHARGE , 3 times this happened .Ya I had to jump and recharge once of those times to get the damn car there :facepalm:

So you can judge fo yourself 1) ease of removal , 2)and/or jumping the "dead" to return to wherever you got from :rotflmao

SUB ZERO CAR FANATIC
2009 Infiniti QX56 LE

I really appreciate all the input guys. I have been leaning towards the NORTHSTAR Pro AGM 27F battery, the cheapest one I can find is $380 but he SPECs on it are great. It has 930 CCA, 92 Ah, 195 Reserve Capacity, and will operate in -40*F temps which is important to me since I just moved to North Dakota in May, man the cold here is ruthless, hard on batteries so I want the best though I know I will have to shell out $300 - $400 for a good one it looks like, most I have ever paid for a battery in my life but we have to have a reliable one that can handle below freezing temps and raw cranking power with reserve for the QX56 is electronic thirsty. I recently found out that I believe Odyssey is buying out Northstar, their specs and prices and warranty are identical to each other. 48 month some 60 month I think.

SUB ZERO CAR FANATIC
2009 Infiniti QX56 LE

What about the fusible link connector on the positive post, does it need replacing very often, mine was kind of corroded looking, looked like acid was eating away at the wire sheathing on the positive cables a bit .

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The plating on the link block will eventually self-destruct at the hole where it attaches to the lug if you don't protect it. Get some anodizing paint and spray the contact area before reassembling the lug to it. Nothing else on the link block is particularly susceptible to corrosion.

SUB ZERO CAR FANATIC
2009 Infiniti QX56 LE

VStar650CL wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:59 pm
The plating on the link block will eventually self-destruct at the hole where it attaches to the lug if you don't protect it. Get some anodizing paint and spray the contact area before reassembling the lug to it. Nothing else on the link block is particularly susceptible to corrosion.
Thanks for the info.

trevorklat
Car: 2013 Infinit QX56

I second the Autozone option for the battery. I use them for the warranty and the fact that they are almost everywhere I go. I used a Duralast Gold 27-DLG in my 2013 QX56.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”