Battery harness replacement suggestions?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
ludoZici
Car: 1993 300zx 'vert, 234k and kickin'

Hey all -

My battery cables are pretty messy, so, without consideration of the process up front I purchased a Z1 harness replacement!

Only THEN did I look more closely at the run of the harness and noted the negative lead bolted to the rear of the bell housing and, of course, a strain relief bracket with a 10mm bolt holding it right next to the negative lead bolt.

I dropped the starter which does provide a leetle more access, but just a pinch!

I suspect this is really just a matter of good pretzeling posture and lots of patience, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips to facilitate the process, beyond beer and tequila. And lots of patience! ;)

Thanks in advance!

brian300zx
Car: 1990 300zx TT

I actually just did this about a month ago on my TT. You can get it out from the top. So remove your battery if you have not done so, get a 10mm combo ratcheting wrench, loosen the 10mm on the backside engine (the bracket) and then once it's loose remove it by hand, after that get a short 14mm socket with 1/4 breaker bar (make sure this is short as well), and what I did is I got the breaker bar down there set it in place then got on top of the engine (literally) snuck my hand down broke the bolt loose and took it out by hand. Of course it's equally as fun to put everything back but that's how I was able to do it in about an hour and a half

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”