Battery Draining with ABS Light and Brake Light is ON.

General discussion area for the L30-chassis Altima
aslam5454
Car: Nissan Altima

I have 98 Nissan Altima, having problem that battery is draining and plus ABS and Brake light is ON. Vehicle is starting with jump start and running in idle but when I try to drive it become dead and stop after few minutes. If any one has solution or suggestion that what kind of problem car has.

semperdave
Car: 2021 NISSAN VISION

Alternator?

aslam5454
Car: Nissan Altima

You are right and thank you.

543Dave

Hi guys, I know this is an Altima site, but I have a 300ZX that is having the same problem. I haven't pulled the alternator or done any investigating, but I noticed, that after driving for about 15 minutes on the freeway, and as I pulled onto an off ramp letting the RPMs drop and pressing the brake, the radio would flicker and go off, the ABS light came on, then the climate control would go off as well. It was night so I had the lights on as well. It ran rough at the light, but if I kept the RPMs up the lights would brighten telling me the alternator was at least working a little bit? I also think it could be the alternator, but I'm not convinced since the lights get brighter with increased RPM. I've noticed that the brake fluid has fallen a little so I thought I had a leak in the lines somewhere. Since the ABS light came on and I have a leak in the brake system somewhere, could there be a short in the sensors or something caused by the leak that could be draining the battery? When I got home, I put the charger on it for 24 hours, then went out a few days later and it was too weak to even turn the starter. I had just replaced the battery about 4 days before! Any other ideas what it could be, or is the alternator still the best bet? Thanks!

wade001
Car: 2009 Altima coupe 2.5s mt

one way to see if its the alternator is to take a volt meter reading while the car is running. if it's close to 15V it should be good. but if it isn't take it to an autozone or somewhere you can have it really tested. the alternator charging changes with the engine rpm's so if it seems your electronics are failing except when you accellerate it's a good bet thats your problem. had that happen to my '87 300zx in the middle of the night when i had it. not fun

Return to “2nd Generation Altima Sedan (1998-2001)”