battery drain current problem

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
dillonm695

Good Morning Shipmates,

New to this site - looks like a great place!

Problem: 1996 Infiniti I30, completely stock, 5spd tranny, 135k miles. Battery drain is ~115 mA with key out of ignition. This seems to me to be about 100 mA to high. I pulled some fusible links and fuses, testing for current draw, and found that there is about 30 mA across the fusible link 'power window' and a 52 mA drain on the fuse 'BCM' (aka body control module). I'm using a cheapo $2.99 meter from Harbor Freight.

Has anyone diagnosed and fixed a current drain problem with the BCM or the power windows?

Thanks,Max

dillonm695

Wow Max, sounds like a really tough problem!

NISTECH

you need to do this test a specific way or you will get bogus results. you have to make sure the system is asleep and you can not break the battery connection during the test. I will try to explain it as best as possible. pop your hood and be sure the doors are all closed tape down the hood pin swith for the alarm. in this state wait 10 mins then clamp your positive lead of your meter to the battery cable. and place the neg lead on the battery post from the top. do not let either break contact from this point on. loosen the neg battery cable clamp enough so you can easily lift it up from the battery. Now with both lead still attached lift the neg cable up so you neg tester lead is inside the clamp. besure the neg battery clamp is not touching any part of your tester or the battery now take your reading needs to be below 50mA

dillonm695

THANK YOU! I'm not sure where the hood pin switch is or what it looks like, if you could enlighten me I'd really appreciate it. I've got the workshop manual and will peruse to see what I can figure out.

NISTECH

on the max and I30 I believe its right near the battery mounted to the radiator support to the drivers side of the radiator. it is a rubber accordian boot ,disconnect it or tape it down[same results] it opens the cicuit.

dillonm695

Thank you sir! I taped down the switch (which was exactly where you thought) and let the car sit for about 2 hours. Then I tested the battery drain current in the manner you described, and measure a value of 9.8 mA.

So, that value sounds quite normal to me, and I've got nothing to fix!

Thanks again,Max

NISTECH

thats a good thing.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”