Battery disconnect for ECU reset.

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
AddictionG35
Car: 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT (R.I.P. 03 SEP 07)

Simple, quick question. When disconnecting the battery for the ECU reset, do you disconnect both terminals or just one and how long is it for, I see some people say 12 hours and others say 24?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

AddictionG35 wrote:Simple, quick question. When disconnecting the battery for the ECU reset, do you disconnect both terminals or just one and how long is it for, I see some people say 12 hours and others say 24?
The + terminal is sufficient.

And, I would think that 8 hours overnight would be way long enough.

Z

AddictionG35

Cool thanks szhosain!

AddictionG35

Wait a minute, aren't you always supposed to disconnect the Negative first? I have been shocked once playing with a 15Kw generator battery and it didn't feel good, I don't want to get hit again.

szh

AddictionG35 wrote:Wait a minute, aren't you always supposed to disconnect the Negative first?
Should not really matter, but it is easiest to disconnect the + terminal at the battery, since then you know the rest of the electrical system is then at its lowest potential (Nissan and Infiniti are negative-ground systems).
AddictionG35 wrote:I have been shocked once playing with a 15Kw generator battery and it didn't feel good, I don't want to get hit again.
We are talking car battery, right? It is only 12 Volts and will not hurt you in the same way (not that I would recommend touching both terminals with your hands, fwiw).

Just don't accidentally drop a metal tool across the battery terminals, though! The current surge and spark will arc-weld it in place!

Z

AddictionG35

That's what happened to me on the Generator, I didn't arc off both terminals but off a piece of metal in the battery housing on the generator.

szh

AddictionG35 wrote:That's what happened to me on the Generator, I didn't arc off both terminals but off a piece of metal in the battery housing on the generator.
Ouch.

As long as you carefully do one terminal (+ terminal is the logical one), you should be fine.

BTW, my recommendation to not drop anything metallic across the terminals (i.e., from one terminal on the battery to the other terminal on the battery) applies whether the battery is connected to the car electrical system or not. Because the spike in current into the electrical system could kill something (like car electronics).

But, just simply disconnecting the battery + terminal will not hurt anything in general. It is just like when you change the battery.

Remember to write down your radio settings if you want ... on your own car, it is probably not too important, but doing somebody else car, they may want to get their radio settings put back afterwards.

Z

AddictionG35

Cool thanks alot, lol, it's a little late and dark outside to tinker under the hood with that without a flashligh(I need to buy one ) so I tried the pedal way again. About like 50 times again... god that is kicking my a$$. ARG!!! I just don't get the trick, I can't seem to get it to the point to where the SES even starts blinking. Even my mom can reset hers with no problem on her Tahoe... how sad is that that I can't even get mine done... Oh well, guess I will just have to disconnect the terminals some time soon.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”