battery and hand brake dash light blinking

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
delbalso

This started as an intermitent problem and is now continous. The battery and hand brake dash lights are blinking and I get a buzzing sound from behind the dash. The buzzing sound goes away and and the frequency of the blinking changes as I accelerate.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of a service bullten for it

Thank-you

drjohn

This sounds like a typical alt. problem. You may have one diode shorting or open or a regulator problem. The reg. is in the alternator which means replacement if that is the problem. You can have a local parts house or a shop check it for you.

delbalso

thanks for the reply drjohn

I suspected it was an alt problem. The battery light has been on (at different intensities) for almost a year now. It would dim as I accelerate. A local mechanic did test the electrical system and said that everything was fine except for possibly a bad diode in the regulator which is internal to the alt. He said that it was not worth the cost to change it just so that batterty light would turn off because the car ran fine and was suppling the necessary power.

What I find strange it that every other electrical system seems OK. When you have a bad alternator usually you will see it, especially in the headlights.

Thanks againRobert

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”