Battery and Fuse Box Relocation Questions

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
SilviablhS14
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx SE (RIP)
1998 VW Jetta VR6
1990 Nissan 240sx Hatchback SR20DET

So as the title says I'm thinking of relocating my battery to the trunk for a cleaner look. I also want to relocate the Fuse Box. I've seen a few people relocate them to the glove box and under where the battery used to be. So my questions are; for those of you that have mounted the fuse box under the battery what did you use to mount it securely so it won't fall and the other one is how many cables do I need to run from the fuse box to the battery? On my + battery terminal there are about 2 or 3 wires coming off of it. I would like to just run one wire to the trunk so is there any way to just run one or do I need to run multiple.

Thanks for the help.

Hoffman5982
Car: '95 sr20det 240sx

Here is where I have mine

You can see here where I ran the harness through. This is a hole that I cut for the intercooler piping and ended up having to make it bigger because I cut in the wrong place

Here you see the red clip. That connects to the one cable that goes back to the battery and then goes to the FL100A fuse in the fuse box.

I used some self tapping screws to hold it in, and it seems pretty secure. If you do this, drill holes in the fuse box lid to avoid standing water. The only plugs I had to extend were the 2 that plug into the bottom of the fuse box. They were about 6" too short

sly240
Car: 93 240sx

When you move your battery to the trunk you can install a junction block in the engine compartment to reduce the amount of wires running to the rear and to allow you a place to "jump" and pick up power from the front.

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

To elaborate on slv240, JEGS carries something that you can use as a junction box. A buddy of mine has a similar unit that comes from JEGS, not Casper like the one I linked. And it has 2 connected studs so you can run your battery positive cable to one stud, and then branch the other stud for your starter and main harness plugs.

SilviablhS14
1998 VW Jetta VR6

Thanks for the help guys. Just to clear things up. All of the different cables running from the + battery terminal go to the starter, alternator, and the fuse box. Is that right? And the best way to have one wire to go to the battery in the trunk is with the junction box?

Hoffman5982

Junction Box would be the best solution. I'll probably pick one of those up soon. The was I have is one 0AWG wire coming off the battery towards the front going straight to the starter. Off of that cable it also splits off going to that red plug and then to the fuse box. That red plug has two wires. The other one goes to the alternator.

Quick diagram:

2FAS240
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE / 49' Chevy Stepside / 04 Tahoe

Didn't relocate the fuse box but heres my batters relocation setup

SilviablhS14
1998 VW Jetta VR6

Where can I get the cable from. I went to Auto Zone and they didn't have any long enough. I also went to Home Depot and asked the guy for 15ft of 2 gauge and he told me that the wire they had wouldn't work for relocating a battery.
Will 4 gauge wire work or do I need to stay with 2 gauge?

JDM240SXcoupe
Car: 1992 240sx coupe
1991 Crx Si

On my other project car(crx) im running 0 gauge cable ground and power. I bought mine from ebay for like 40 dollars. But you can buy it from an audio shop for like 1 or 2 dollars a foot.Thats what im gonna do to the s13 too. 0 gauge wires.

2FAS240
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE / 49' Chevy Stepside / 04 Tahoe

Im running 0 gauge ground and power as well pretty much any audio shop sells it sometimes electronic stores like radio shack and best buy

Hoffman5982

Yeah I followed the low budget battery relocation guide and got my 0AWG wire from Lowe's and I hate it. The stuff is so thick it's near impossible to make it bend the way you want it to. When I get a chance I'll be buying some better stuff that's easier to handle

sly240
Car: 93 240sx

I'll post up some pics of what i did it's not the cleanest but it was free. i got all the parts from where i worked.

this pic is with the cover on. all i did was cut the end of the old battery terminal off at the terminal and attach an o ring connector. i attached the same o ring to the new battery cable and to the wire going to the fuse block. now my terminal block has a built in fuse which is a must in my oppinion as the starter will draw more power than it used to and you dont want anything getting dameged.
Without the cover.

now i also had a question about the relocation of the fuse box or boxes i want to relocate both the left and right ones does anyone have pic's of this?
ohhh and here are some pic's of my wiring harness. i re did it as i did not like the factory setup. it's not 100% done yet just want some oppinons.
as you can see i moved the fuel injector harness and the crank angle sensor. the right side by the turbo is what im not sure about and i want to move my fuse boxes. so there it is.
P.S. i know my spelling sucks.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”