Basketball goal restoration inside..

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
cmfireman
Car: '96 Nissan S14 SE

So my mom just bought an (old) new house, and there was an old rusted post with a rotten piece of plywood for a backboard, a rusted goal, and no net in the driveway.

I decided instead of tearing it down, I would give it new life and maybe get some exercise in the process and after completion.

* First, I sanded the post with 220 grit paper and hit it with Rustoleum primer. I then put a few coats of Rustoleum gloss black on it.

Post after painting:

*I attempted to unbolt the backboard, but the bolts were so rusted I had to tear it off and sawzall out the bolts. I picked up some new bolts at ACE hardware.

*I then went to Lowes and picked up a sheet of 3/4" plywood, a quart of white exterior paint and a brush. I traced out what was left of the old backboard, and cut out the new pattern with a jigsaw. I straightened up the strait edges with a tablesaw.

The backboard with 2 coats of paint:

The porous plywood really soaks up the paint. I hope I won't need more.

I need to pick up some red paint so I can finish the rim and the red square on the backboard. I bought a net at Walmart for like $4.

Will post final pics when done, I have to work the next 3 days so it'll probably be next week until I can finish.

So far, I have about $35 in the project. It would cost a bit more to buy a new backboard or a new basketball goal, and when I'm finished I can say I did it myself.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

hoop looks fine, hit it with a couple coats of orange and get an outdoor net and a back board that isn't wood(or I guess you could shalac or something so it would do better outside rather than just painting)

Where is the finished product?

Return to “Around the House”