Basket case 240z

A forum for owners of S30 and S130 Datsun Z's... 240Z, 260Z, 280Z and 280ZX!
madboy
Car: 240z, Pathfinder

I've lurked here for a while, mostly for maintenance tips in my wife's 08 Pathfinder.

Me and a friend do occasional property maintenance at a store and lock. Sometimes we get paid to clean out unpaid units.

Today we got paid to clean out a unit that contained (we think) an early 70's 240z; it is in a million pieces, and has been for 12+ years. The only noticeable things missing are the windshield, the rods and pistons, and some front end sheet metal.

We cannot find a VIN plate, nor any date coding on various parts. The title is being found (part of settling the dispute of the unpaid unit).

I have images, but the forum will not allow me to include a URL in my post. Probably because of the newbie status.

Is this worth restoring? Or is it worth more by parting it out? We recognize that it is something worth saving, and we have skills---we are both wrench turners (mostly old American muscle cars) and I have a working, well tooled machine shop. We have zero $ in this (positive money actually) and are unsure how to proceed.

How does one post images to the forum?

TIA for any insight.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

The VIN Number can be found on the firewall on the driver's side. There should also be a data plate on the passenger front strut tower. A date of manufacture plate on the drivers B pillar. The big killer of Z's is rust. Check out the front frame rails, under the battery, dog legs, floor pans.

Serviceable engines and transmissions can be had cheap enough. Unless you have a first year of production (sn under 22000) and a matching numbers engine, I wouldn't attempt an engine rebuild. Another quick check for an early car is vents on the rear hatch. Later cars had vents put on the sides of the C pillar.

Personally, I would put anytime in body rust repair. Check out eBay to get an idea of current values.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Welcome to NICO!
What DJ said. The vin number is stamped in the engine bay, on the firewall, just above the brake booster. It will read HLS30XXXXX.The lower the number the more it's worth, if it ready HRS you got a 74 260Z and if the number is about 150000 (IIRC) then you got a 75-78 280Z. When assessing value on ebay, look for sold cars, just because some idiot is asking 30k for his 280z doesn't mean he will get it, and the fact that you are lacking vin plates certainly hurts value.

djwarner
Car: 1971 240Z Series I
2006 350Z

Well, what did you find out? We would all love to hear about some rare old z being discovered and rescued.

Return to “Datsun Z Forum”