Barley Running after Timing Belt Replacment

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
ClosingLink
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx TT

Hey guys, I recently performed the timing belt maintenance on my 90 TT. After replacing everything included in the Z1 120k service, the car barley runs. It starts perfectly fine, but has a rough idle and I have to keep revving it to keep her going. Taking the car on a test drive, there is minimal to no power when on the gas. I've also noticed the oil pressure is really low since the service. What could be the issue? The car also did not have a cone filter before I started, just straight MAF sensor stickin' out. When I did the service I bought the filter from Z1 and put it on. Tried taking that off but no dice. Any help in the right direction would be awesome!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

The first and obvious thought is that the timing is off, if you used the lines on the belt and did not confirm the position of the crank and cams. If you did this and are 100% sure that the timing is set correctly the next step would be to check all of your connectors and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Another pretty easy item to check is the position of your CPS on the driver side exhaust cam. This is used to time the ignition and if its off by more than a few degrees it will make the car almost undriveable. If these items are all correct then its time to bust out the FSM (see my signature) and start troubleshooting.

ClosingLink
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx TT

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 am
The first and obvious thought is that the timing is off, if you used the lines on the belt and did not confirm the position of the crank and cams. If you did this and are 100% sure that the timing is set correctly the next step would be to check all of your connectors and make sure everything is plugged in correctly. Another pretty easy item to check is the position of your CPS on the driver side exhaust cam. This is used to time the ignition and if its off by more than a few degrees it will make the car almost undriveable. If these items are all correct then its time to bust out the FSM (see my signature) and start troubleshooting.
Right on the money sir! Belt was off by a few notches. Thankfully no damage to the valves and she’s back to purring!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Glad I could help.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”