Banging out small dents....

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

Ok i have some small dents right on the seam between bumper and my left front fender... courtesy of some full contact drifting.. anywho.. it seems that i can pull of that fender pretty easily and bang out the dents myself... now remeber they are aren't that big ... now is this a good idea, got any tips?, what tools should be used... also i have some gashes on my bumper, what should i use to cover em up/ fill them?......

If you need pics i can take some with a digi cam.. any input is better than nothing...

rc240sx

well, there are special hammers for hammering out small dents. If the whole fender is messed up. I would suggest getting a slide hammer so you dont have to remove the fender. A slide hammer takes out dents by pulling a screw drilled into the body. Then fill the gashes and holes with bondo and repaint. You might want to have a body shop paint it unless you have a HVLP painting gun and at lease 2 hp compressor.

bodyman240

all you need to do is.1. take off fender2. get hammer and a dolly( flat metal object with mass)3. hold dolly on the outside of the fender, and hit dented area from the inside.4. The outside will be damaged a little, so if you want to live with it do so. If not grind about an inch or two around the damaged area- taking down to bare metal. 5. wipe bondo in the area.6. sand with 80 grit, and when area is flat the the rest of the panel feather out the 80 scratches with 120. scuff around that with scotch brite pad and prime with fill and sand- or urethane primer. 7. sand primer with 360 grit paper8. ultra fine the rest of the fender with 1000 grit.9. go around the shiny areas left with scuff pad.10. clean and paintthis is the way to completely fix a dent like you are describing.good luck::)

bodyman240

Also I don't exactly where the dent is so I can only assume that you can get to the area with a hammer if not you may need to drill holes and use a puller. The grinding and everything else remains the same.

FrEaK

damn so i'd have to get the whole quarter panel repainted... hmmm... is it possible for me to sand and repaint only damaged area.... i will be a while before i can repaint the entire car...

the paint wont be exact but pretty close... and the body wont look like crap..

FrEaK

ill get a pichold up

FrEaK

Here they are...

FrEaK

another

rc240sx

That dent is nothing. You probably wont even have to repaint that part once you bang out the dent from inside. If you don't want a fuzz look, I recommend you repaint the whole panel.

bodyman240

you don't have to repaint the entire panel you can blend it, but like rc240 said there will be a fuzzy area where the paint stops. You can sand and buff it but usually you can still see it. It is best to paint the entire panel. You don't have to paint the rest of the car. Just paint the fender and if its a tad darker with the new clear on it buff the fender and the rest of the car. That usually evens it out, unless of course you have a crappy match. If you don't trust yourself I would pay to get it done. A job like that should not be terribly expensive. I just wanted to help if you did want to do the job yourself. You could also try the dent wizard, they usually require no paint work to be done. Basically there are a ton of possibilities including leaving it the way it is. Its your car and your choice. good luck

FrEaK

well i prefer to det rid of the damn thing.. but how much you think it would cost to get it done.. my other option is taking it into my school and having my shop teach help me out...

bodyman240

I would say 100 to a 150 dollars, but thats about what we would charge. It depends on the shop. If you could have someone guide you through it do that. That way you can do it yourself in the future.

FrEaK

Guy.. you guys must make a killing on bodywork..

y3llows14

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but how you remove the screw that attaches the fender to the door?The bottom screw that is screwed a piece of metal. You guys know what Im talking about? I removed all the screws from the fender, but that one I can't remove. Its in an award position. Thanks

FrEaK

I know what one your talking about... unfortunately there is no easy way to pull it out... try some different extensions and such...

y3llows14

Thanks for the reply Freak. Did you get your dents fix?

leper421
Car: Current: 2011 370z
Previous: 2003 350z, 1991 240sx

y3llows14 wrote:Sorry to bring up an old topic, but how you remove the screw that attaches the fender to the door?The bottom screw that is screwed a piece of metal. You guys know what Im talking about? I removed all the screws from the fender, but that one I can't remove. Its in an award position. Thanks

Use lots of extensions. Pull the fender out slightly and stick the socket in behind fender from by the tire. If you think taking it off is a pain, wait till you have to put it back on :)

FrEaK

nope haven't got the dents out... but when i do.. i'll post some pics... :)

y3llows14

Tried the extension...worked like a charm. Thanks.BTW Im stripping my whole front end to get ready for the S15 conversion.....yeah (when Daunttless up opened up his shop that is)

FrEaK

good stuff... bet thats real cheap eh?

mojo22
Car: a lot of stuff

if you don't want to bother with paint, look up Paintless Dent Repair and see if you can find a company in your area that does it. my friends do this for a living and it is a very good method. they repair all the dents and dings on my vehicles for me. there is no painting or removing of body parts involved if they can get to the dent. depending on who you find, you may pay a guy 100 bucks to do it, but your dents will be gone and you had to do nothing but pay what you were going to anyway.

that's my 2 cents, check it out if you like.

y3llows14

My shiet is pretty banged up...I think the only way is to replace it. But that shiet sound nice if I had dents like Freak.

mojo22
Car: a lot of stuff

my friend that does PDR (paintless dent repair) makes his big money fixing hail damaged cars. he can make a totally banged up car look new with his skills. it is a pretty cool thing to see.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”