Ball joints

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Tobiascolins
Car: 2007 Infiniti m35x

I have a 2007 Infiniti m35x. I believe I need new ball joints. Are the ball joints on the m35x replaceable or do you have to replace the whole control arm?

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

They are replaceable if you can find just a ball joint for sale. Infiniti themselves I believe only sell the control arm. You may have to buy a new arm just for the ball joint on it :frown:

Unfortunately, you are most likely about to run into the same problem I did; Infiniti discontinued the control arm for the 2006 and 2007 models and replaced it with a new version. The new version is physically the same, except for the cone around the ball joint. The new arm part number is NOT compatible with the other parts of the suspension in our vehicles. You have to replace all of the most expensive parts together to all the new part number models for them to fit together. This is extremely expensive, and pointless since the largest piece of the suspension that the upper and lower control arms mount to has no wear parts on it and should always be in perfect condition.

I don't know when Infiniti changed part numbers though, it is a small possibility that if your 07 is late enough in a manufacture date you may already have the new part numbers.

What you can do is take the new arm, press the joint out, and press it into your old control arm. This can damage is joint if you aren't careful, or damage the cone on the old arm which would also be bad. It is really the only solution, other than buying $1500 of parts per wheel, just to get them all on the new part number and fitting together properly.

Tobiascolins
Car: 2007 Infiniti m35x

Ok, yes I've seen the control arms a available but would like to find just the ball joint and get it pressed in. I'd like to avoid spending $400/side for the arms. I'll do some looking around. Maybe rock auto has them. Thanks.

Jeffogto
Car: 2007 M35x

I changed my upper and lower control arms on the front of my 07 M35x 5 years ago and when I moved threw out the old control arms. I'm kicking myself now. The only feont lower control arms I can find for all wheel drive run over 500 a piece and I think that was on Rock Auto. Just ridiculous man!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”