Ball joints for the J

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
Leuthesius
Car: 1996 Infiniti J30 - Totaled by Hail RIP
1995 Smurfima - Blown Head Gasket 230k miles RIP

Right, so after months and months of worry and trying to find out what ball joints are adaptable in the control arms of the illustrious J, and nobody filling my answers, I now have the answer for everyone else. At least part of it.

For the 1996 Infiniti J30, a 1996 Maxima Lower Ball Joint will fit perfectly as far as the fitting into the control arms go.

The ball joints are a little taller, so there will have to be an adjustment elsewhere in the alignment to offset it. We're talking about 1/4" or less, though.

The MOOG part is K9818 if you're going through Oreilly's. Chances are its the same part all around. If someone else has a rear ball joint in need of replacement, please go through the rigamarole and see what you come out with.

Going this route is going to save me $800.

Now if someone could point out where I can get the drum brakes for the parking brakes.... I can't seem to find those anywhere....

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Thanks for the info!

It's very helpful.

coolyun_98
Car: 1993 J30 11,7000kM

Leuthesius wrote:Right, so after months and months of worry and trying to find out what ball joints are adaptable in the control arms of the illustrious J, and nobody filling my answers, I now have the answer for everyone else. At least part of it.

For the 1996 Infiniti J30, a 1996 Maxima Lower Ball Joint will fit perfectly as far as the fitting into the control arms go.

The ball joints are a little taller, so there will have to be an adjustment elsewhere in the alignment to offset it. We're talking about 1/4" or less, though.

The MOOG part is K9818 if you're going through Oreilly's. Chances are its the same part all around. If someone else has a rear ball joint in need of replacement, please go through the rigamarole and see what you come out with.

Going this route is going to save me $800.

Now if someone could point out where I can get the drum brakes for the parking brakes.... I can't seem to find those anywhere....
For the actual drum... it is attached to the disk...there are many choices...from brembo OEM replacement rear disks to centric black hat...

For the drum brake shoes... you really have to go with OEM.

For the drum brake hardware kit (the springs and retainers)... you can go to http://www.rockauto.com I think a set is about $40.

Leuthesius
Car: 1996 Infiniti J30 - Totaled by Hail RIP
1995 Smurfima - Blown Head Gasket 230k miles RIP

Great... OEM through Infiniti, meaning $rape$.

Who do I go through?

I saw the kit on rockauto already, but of course can't get to it until I get the shoes.

Also, on the ball joints. I am assuming that all J parts are interchangable.

autowill
Car: 1995 infiniti j30

wow.. this is great information!! what about the FRONT ball joints?

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”