Bad wheel bearing?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
jrmotorsports55
Car: 2011 EX35 AWD Journey (wife's car)

My wife has a 2011 EX35 with roughly 30,000 miles. Over the last year or so the tire noise was getting really loud and obnoxious (stock Dunlops), so we finally replaced them. The new tires made a huge difference, but I am noticing a faint whirring sound at lower street speeds that gets louder at highway speeds. Also noticed a whoosh whoosh whoosh sound only on right turns. The wheel is smooth as silk even at 80 mph, and I have not found any play in the suspension. The CV boots are good as well. I'm thinking it is a noisy left front wheel bearing. Thoughts? Anyone replace one of these? Would this fall under powertrain warranty?

Thanks,

Jason

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

jrmotorsports55

Thanks

CustomLowz
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35

I know that the wheel bearings are a common item to wear out on our EX35's. At 30K its probably a bit odd to wear out, but its definitely worth getting looked at.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

CustomLowz wrote:I know that the wheel bearings are a common item to wear out on our EX35's. At 30K its probably a bit odd to wear out, but its definitely worth getting looked at.
My guess would be tire noise whirring...just different that the first set...

Common? I guess I haven't paid any attention to the bearing threads? I am at 72K and still just the radiator has needed to be replaced... although I might need front struts? I have a wiggly steering wheel when I go over roads that are a little rough. Very annoying!

jrmotorsports55

I thought about tire noise, but it seems like it is coming only from the left front, and it makes a loud whop whop whop noise only when turning to the right, so if it is just tire noise, it only seems to be the left front. I'm going to try to get it up in the air in the next few days to dig deeper (have been out of town all of last week, and this was the car that we were driving, so I was listening/watching closely).

Jason

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

well my issue was a blown shock... It didn't have any symptoms other than going over rough roads or the highway divider reflector thingys... Sure wish I hadn't taken it to the stealership to find out!
arrgh!

Top secret
Car: Ex35

jrmotorsports55 wrote:I thought about tire noise, but it seems like it is coming only from the left front, and it makes a loud whop whop whop noise only when turning to the right, so if it is just tire noise, it only seems to be the left front. I'm going to try to get it up in the air in the next few days to dig deeper (have been out of town all of last week, and this was the car that we were driving, so I was listening/watching closely).

Jason
I have the same iusse in my car but I don't know the problem form where but I think it form the wheel bearing. What about you did you solved the problem?

jrmotorsports55

Well, I swapped the sides for the front tires, and the noise stayed the same, so it is not a loud tire. Pretty sure it's the wheel bearing. Time to see what all is involved in the replacement.

Chelsea John
Car: EX35

I would make sure the noise is actually coming from the front. I've had a noisey wheel bearing ( previous car ) where it sounded like it
was coming from the front left but in fact it was the rear left bearing.
I saw the mechanic jack the car and use a rubber tube as a 'stethoscope' and whilst rotating each wheel, by hand, listen to each wheel.

jrmotorsports55

Replaced the LF wheel bearing, that was the culprit. Complete hub assembly was $77 at Rock auto, and the job took less than two hours.

jrmotorsports55

Replaced the RF this past weekend as there was some noise from that side as well. Car is now dead silent like it was when new. Can't believe that a 4 year old car with 33,000 miles had both front wheel bearings go out.

petro24
Car: 2010 EX35 AWD

I have a 2010 EX35 with 83,000 (out of warranty) miles. Detected a low hum which seems to be in the right front a few weeks ago which is getting progressively louder. Noise lessens when I make right turns. It is clear from the numerous cases I've read, Infiniti has an obvious design/quality flaw with their bearings. That's what I get for buying a 'luxury' vehicle...Schemes to get ripped off. I've never heard of anyone I know having a problem with wheel bearings. It should be a recall. Well, it is what it is....

Next step: Dealership said $220 for hub/bearing and $300 labor for EACH side. Holy ripoff artists! Just bought two Timken bearings for $78 each with free shipping from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Timken-HA590125-A ... B000IYHXO4 I double-checked the part number on the Timken site: http://www.showmetheparts.com/timken/

I'll install them over the weekend and report back. There are very detailed threads available for DIYers. While I'm not a mechanic, I've done many different repair jobs on all of my vehicles because I enjoy it and hate getting ripped off. Other than being cautious with the ABS sensor, it seems straightforward. Any suggestions welcome.

Enjoy!

jrmotorsports55

Yes, make sure to get the abs sensor out first and rent a slide hammer with hub removed from auto zone, you will need it. Should take less than an hour each side.

Have fun!

petro24
Car: 2010 EX35 AWD

Parts arrived so I attempted to change the right side hub/bearing this evening. Luckily, I had no rust on my bolts even though we have 83,000+ miles on the EX35 AWD. After removing the tire, I took the brake bracket off with the caliper/brakes still attached. Wired them up and out of the way with a wire from a coat hanger. Then I sprayed the rusted hub housing with PB Blaster. (The hub appeared to be rusted on) The abs sensor bolt was removed without incident. I did not have a slide hammer so I left the 4 bolts in that hold the hub. The only threaded section is on the hub so I made sure the bolts were backed out enough to move the hub outward. I carefully started the car without touching the brakes too hard and turned the wheels to the right to give me better access to the back of the hub. I worked on all 4 bolts with a hammer and long punch. It took about 15 minutes to work the hub loose. I sanded, cleaned and lubricated the area before installing the Timken hub/bearing. It did not just fit right back in, it had to be installed by tightening the hub bolts in sequence. Just when I was ready to torque them, I realized I forgot to install the dust shield...#%*$#*@&*$@!!!!! I used the same process of hitting the bolts with a punch. It was very snug but came out much easier than the rusted one. I put everything back together and took a test ride. Yup! It was the passenger side front as I suspected. It's back to very quiet and smooth now. The whining/humming is gone. I'm going to change out the driver side tomorrow as I'm figuring that will probably start failing soon as well. Now that I know what I'm doing, it should be a 30 minute job for the other side. I had fun and saved a TON of money. Thanks for the tips!

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

My EX just fell victim to a bad wheel bearing. A few days ago, I started to hear it; mine sounded like a motorboat, or one of those small single engine airplaines. The bearing was one of my first guesses, and my mechanic's first guess. Turns out he was right. It was the front passenger side bearing that was the culprit.

Anyway, while I've never had this issue on any cars I've owned I'm guessing that 130K on a wheel bearing may be just about par for the course. My mechanic recommended the OEM bearing over the aftermarket one, saying that it should last longer. He also said the driver side front bearing may be starting to make a bit of noise, and I might have another 20K or so of miles left on it.

Kudos to you guys who DIY this kind of work :mike. While it does look straightforward, knowing myself I'd definitely get stuck and frustrated on a few of the steps. :)

AWGD8
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD JOURNEY

My 2008 EX35 with 86k miles just had a front passenger wheel bearing replaced.

After working on my brakes last year, I decided to have the dealer rape me. LOL!

I was given an option of 1 hour work with 2 techs

or 2 hours work with 1 tech.

So I went with the fastest one and paid $560 out the door. Sometimes, my day off is worth than a $300 savings and a pain in my back/legs/arm the next day.

Bocatrip

Is it the entire wheel hub that needs replacing? I assume the part is not cheap. I had to replace one of my wheel bearings on my 04 G35 when I owned it and my miles were under 40,000 miles. Not acceptable.

NJGuy

AWGD8 wrote:My 2008 EX35 with 86k miles just had a front passenger wheel bearing replaced.

After working on my brakes last year, I decided to have the dealer rape me. LOL!

I was given an option of 1 hour work with 2 techs

or 2 hours work with 1 tech.

So I went with the fastest one and paid $560 out the door. Sometimes, my day off is worth than a $300 savings and a pain in my back/legs/arm the next day.
I hear you! While I might have enjoyed attempting to perform a repair I've never done, my schedule this month just simply wouldn't allow it. I was already tied up with another time consuming project on my house. I still had an aching body, but it came from working on the house, not the car :) .

NJGuy

Bocatrip wrote:Is it the entire wheel hub that needs replacing? I assume the part is not cheap. I had to replace one of my wheel bearings on my 04 G35 when I owned it and my miles were under 40,000 miles. Not acceptable.
I guess it depends on the condition of the hub. If the bearings fail early like at 40K, then it's probably ok to reuse the hub. In a situation like mine, it totally made sense to get a new hub.

While the bearings may be sold separately from the hub, an aftermarket bearing/hub assembly appears to be readily available and doesn't seem to be all that expensive if you shop around. If only the bearing is purchased it still needs to be pressed into the hub; so an additional labor cost might be involved.

Bocatrip

NJGuy wrote:
Bocatrip wrote:Is it the entire wheel hub that needs replacing? I assume the part is not cheap. I had to replace one of my wheel bearings on my 04 G35 when I owned it and my miles were under 40,000 miles. Not acceptable.
I guess it depends on the condition of the hub. If the bearings fail early like at 40K, then it's probably ok to reuse the hub. In a situation like mine, it totally made sense to get a new hub.

While the bearings may be sold separately from the hub, an aftermarket bearing/hub assembly appears to be readily available and doesn't seem to be all that expensive if you shop around. If only the bearing is purchased it still needs to be pressed into the hub; so an additional labor cost might be involved.
These days only the entire hub is replaced with the bearing. Not many actually try to cut corners with replacing the bearing alone. However, Nissan/Infinitis are known for premature bearing failure for whatever reason. I changed mine (04 G35) at 40,000 miles which was stupid. Cars are getting cheaper parts to cut corners. Not acceptable.

UpstateEX35
Car: 2011 EX35

The correct oem part number is 40202-4GE0A correct? I need a front passenger wb. Just recently bought my ex35 from a non Infiniti dealer. With 92k. It will be my commuter. It's had some gremlins pop up. Bad right side catalytic converter, bent rim, and now wheel bearing out of the gate. The dealer is replacing the catalytic converter and fixing wheel as a good will. I will buy the bearing part and they will take care of the installation for it. I'm hoping this car isn't a money pit. At least I have NICO! Anyone in the 12531 area?

NJGuy

UpstateEX35 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 am
The correct oem part number is 40202-4GE0A correct? I need a front passenger wb. Just recently bought my ex35 from a non Infiniti dealer. With 92k. It will be my commuter. It's had some gremlins pop up. Bad right side catalytic converter, bent rim, and now wheel bearing out of the gate. The dealer is replacing the catalytic converter and fixing wheel as a good will. I will buy the bearing part and they will take care of the installation for it. I'm hoping this car isn't a money pit. At least I have NICO! Anyone in the 12531 area?

You have an AWD model, right? I found part number 40202-EJ70B for the front bearing on the 2008-2013 AWD models.

I also found that part number you listed, though it appears to be for the 2014+ models. There might be a chance it'll work on your 2011, but I don't know what the differences are between the two.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”