bad valve seal signs?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
neverlift

Ok guys after a comp test I figure I have a blown piston or valve seal gone out on me.

Number 1 has a ton of oil in the exhaust ports, the plug is fouled and comp was 30psi.Lots of blue smoke too!

Last time I blew my ringlands off oil shot from the vlave cover and pcv line.

Any input would be nice! at first I thought it was a blown piston but a country boy told me it was the valve seal/guide?

480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

Nah you got a blown motor man.
Modified by 480sx at 11:34 AM 10/30/2008

neverlift

that is what I thought, but the guy down the street was like oiling on decel = bad valve seal, on accel pistons? also there is no symptoms as I have experienced 3 times with blown ringlands (oil from valve cover/pcv/oil on accell, and normally around 50psi comp on the worst cylinders(both sets of lands busted in 3~4 places) well what would bad vlave seal signs be?

Either way I'm getting a copper hg I have pissed away enough to buy 2 copper gaskets on flepro... any suggestions on that, brand wise? sce good?

480sx

Bad valve seals would be smoking on startup after the car has sat for a while, smoking after idling then driving, ect.

It would also not have any effect on your compression.

neverlift

so a bad valve seal wouldnt have effect on compression

well it does smoke on start up and after sitting it is awfull.

Speckid14
Car: 2002 SE-R Spec V, 1995 240sx, 1993 240sx Coupe

480sx wrote:Bad valve seals would be smoking on startup after the car has sat for a while, smoking after idling then driving, ect.

It would also not have any effect on your compression.
^^^pretty sure this would be bad guides, however it has nothing to do with your bad compression. Try running a cylinder leakage test to further diagnose where the problem is.^^^
neverlift wrote:so a bad valve seal wouldnt have effect on compression

well it does smoke on start up and after sitting it is awfull.
^^^Again, I'm pretty sure it would be bad valve guides. Hence on startup the smoke is worse then after warming up because overnight the oil seeps through the guides into the cylinder. Then once the majority of overnight oil has burned up, then the heat expands the head and a lil more oil seeps into cylinders while idling.^^^

Please correct me if thats a wrong assumption, pretty sure that is the general idea.

Edumacate MeSpeckid

neverlift

damn it I didnt want to pull my motor

I'll just have to pull it apart again and make a motor from the two I have till I can buy more stuffs

480sx

Speckid14 wrote:
^^^pretty sure this would be bad guides, however it has nothing to do with your bad compression. Try running a cylinder leakage test to further diagnose where the problem is.^^^

Please correct me if thats a wrong assumption, pretty sure that is the general idea.

Edumacate MeSpeckid
Nah, even if your guides are perfect you can still have bad seals that will allow oil to get through the guides and into the combustion chamber. Its really a two part system. If either one is bad enough you will get these symptoms, however it all starts at the seal.

Your right though, if your guides are worn it would do this. However in that situation, the seals would also be bad.

NL - I feel your pain man! Im on pull number 5 myself :D. But seriously dude, you keep having the same damn failures! Whats your tuning system?
Modified by 480sx at 8:06 PM 10/30/2008

neverlift

my tuning is fine, well kinda (sohc ecu,dohc motor,z32 maf,stock injectors on walbro/megan fpr at XXpsi) ONLY issue it has is warm up cycle! wants to throw random timing till it hits 150* then it is PERFECT and I have full control, I made a thread on hybridka...

its the luck I have ran into, let me elaborate a bit; First time was a real human failure moment, it was about this time year I had a little spat with the wife, jumped in the car on a cool crisp(30ish degrees) november morning. Hit 11psi and rev limiter fairly fast without warming up fully= blown ring lands Second time was about a month after or so, over excited after the break in I put the turbo on and went to test it out, before I got all the way around the outside road of my hood I hit the go pedal and bam bam bam bam, my car sounded like a suby. My problem here found to be a loose *** distributor bolt = uber advanced timing and 4 extremely blown pistons

Round 3 fight; This time, you may recall, the turbo inhaled a 2.5~3" size adapter through the impeller and proceeded to melt/chew/spit the rubber coupler throughout my charge pipe/IC/cold pipe onto my maf screens/element with me still driving the car this resulted in no fuel and very little air entering the combustion chamber that is seeing a lot of advance timing. =

I know its a read but the **** just rolls down hill sometimes

the tuning I have seems just fine as I had the original sohc motor tuned with it to 47mpg and what felt like a much stronger wot tune than stock( I dont dyno and gville is an hour away). Also used the same ecu to tune my kade swap before boost. Peformed perfect for 3~4 months on the t25 setup to 11psi and spikes of 12~13 a few times(reffer to story one).

I will completely agree my tuning method is not the best by far, however it does in fact work and has proven to perform, AFTER WARM UP . I just have random bad luck sometimes

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

NL + 480 = All Aboard The Fail Boat

Seriously though...I feel for ya. I haven't had the amount of failures you guys have had, but I'm in the lead as far as down time goes

480sx

Someone actually backed into my car the other day too, put a scratch into the passenger side Q pannel. This happened with no engine in it.. Sitting in my driveway infront of my shop.

The fails just keep comming.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Yeah, but you're so friggin Liberal you probably took the dude out for beer and wings as a way to apologize for parking there

Savage Burn!!!!!!!!!!!!

480sx

Rotf

REALIST!

Pfft im so far outside the box im unlabelable!

Believe me, if i knew who did it they would be paying for my body work and then some. Honestly they would probably wonder why their horse had the farts of Thor or was dyed a different color..

Modified by 480sx at 10:19 AM 11/1/2008

neverlift

the failure has been reborn, not boosted yet, oil pan leak,break in number one a little and back to boostin.... well testing the turbo seals as the blown piston could easily have caused my turbo oiling issues. If not I already purchased a staggered gap turbine seal...

well I pulled the head and saw the obvious signs of a blown ring land or 3 the signs of valve seal were all there, however it was the piston being broken in uncountable places/locations. Changed the piston/rings as well as a light hone, set cam timing properly and she fired, wont idle for s*** but it was like that already. Didnt pull the motor as it was the number one.

got a camaro for daily so the 240 has been sitting, too long.

Joshua

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”