Bad Noise from Passenger Side Engine Compartment - PWR Steering?

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
fwb_1234

Hey guys,

I joined this forum so that I could could ask about this little problem.

I have this '97 Altima, which is in pretty good shape except for this issue. When the car is turned at low speed, I hear this sound, which sounds like a whorling sound (as best as I can describe). Until recently, I thought it was a rotational sound, like bearings were going bad or something, but now I have changed my mind.

Recently, I put the car up on jacks to change a smashed front bumper cover, and while it was up on jacks, I was able to examine the source a little better.

When the wheel is turned all the way, the noise becomes much louder. Also, the power steering pump vibrates in conjunction with the noise. I was able to feel the vibration with a screwdriver touching it. (I was just looking for stuff that vibrated in conjunction with the noise by prodding it with the screwdriver.)

I opened up the cover for the fluid and it is not the ruby red color it is supposed to be. Rather, it is more like mud/sand color. I took some out and it didn't have any particulate in it that I could feel between my fingers, but it sort of sparkled under a flashlight.

Anyway, it was a little low, so I put some more in and shut the hood, as there was not much I could do.

My first thought is to drain and refill the power steering fluid and see if that does anything. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that, so if you think that that is a good idea - I need help.

If that sounds wrong, I need some suggestions.

Frederick Bryan

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

welcome to NICO.sparkly could well be fine metallic particles--bad sign.at best your fluid is trashed and should be completely exchanged. besides the abrasives, old fluid will have high acid content, which degrades the rack seals turning to eventual leakage.few people realise how quickly ps fluid overheats and breaks down.yearly fluid exchanges recommended.suggest you do a BG findashop.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

fwb_1234

I'd rather do it myself. Advice?

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

get all the old fluid out. turkey baster not good enough to ensure complete exchange.remove one of the return lines, crank engine---but don't start it--keep adding fluid to res, and do this until color coming out of return is same as what you are putting in.

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”