Bad misfire/ RunninWAY too rich!

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
embryoyo

Hey folks, my friend has a 94 U13 n he's having a lot of trouble with it....

We changed the VC gasket cuz it had failed n cracked. The spark plug wires were old, so when we pulled them out, 2 of them ripped in half, so we changed the wires. He took it for a short drive n the car was runnin fine til, all of a sudden, it stalled. He pulled over n noticed that the coil to distributor wire popped off. Seems that the connector wasn't snug, so he widened it, put it in n it was snug. He starts up the car n it has a crazy misfire n spits a lot of fuel smelling exhaust. When we checked his NEW sparkplugs, they were covered in unburnt fuel. Here's a list of what we checked/replaced since then:

Changed plugsChanged cap n rotorFound oil in distributor, so got a refurbished oneCoil was beat up n covered in oil, so replaced thatChecked timing (although might not be accurate the way the car is runnin)All the fuel injectors are spittin n have the same continuity within specReset ECU numerous times throughout replacing components

None of this helped. The MIL bulb works, but is not lighting up to indicate that there is a code to be read.

Here's the big clue: When we take out the fuel pump fuse, the car runs GREAT n for a MINUTE OR TWO! Usually cars die pretty quickly when you do that.

So, the car's runnin WAY too rich n we're outta ideas. It seems like the spark should be ok, but the injectors seem to be functioning normally as well. We're outta ideas (well, we're hopin it's not a confused ECU).

Any ideas???

Thanks!

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Did you check the O2 sensors?

cbb145

engine coolant temp sensor,same thing happened to my 96 pathfinder,so rich smells like paint thinner,cant fire due to excess fuel,yea if you do the fuel pump fuse in and out to keep it runnin,get it to operating temp,i may run fine ,my truck did

Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Sounds like it's getting too much fuel for sure. Is the FPR working? Is the vacuum line hooked up?

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”