Bad CV Axle?

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
Wolverino
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe Manual

Hello,

I have an 2005 Infiniti Fx35l with about 110k miles on it.

Every time I turn right, I hear this really loud cracking/grinding noise from the front left tire (I think) and it also makes the noise a little going straight

Here is a video of the sound

You can't really hear the sound because the iPhone makes the video muffled on the computer, not sure why

Sounds exactly like a low pitch door creak sound

Is it a bad CV Axle/Joint? Something loose?

Thanks.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I'm not going to lie, that doesn't really sound like a CV axle to me... it almost sounds more like a fender liner dragging on the tire or something. See if you can turn the wheel and poke your head inside there and see if there's any drag/wear marks on anything.

Wolverino
Car: 2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe Manual

PapaSmurf2k3 wrote:I'm not going to lie, that doesn't really sound like a CV axle to me... it almost sounds more like a fender liner dragging on the tire or something. See if you can turn the wheel and poke your head inside there and see if there's any drag/wear marks on anything.

I took off the wheel and put the car on stands and drove in place, and from that I confirmed that it is the CV axle making that noise having the steering wheel to the right, its rusted to crap, like every Nissan product ever made.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Well that sucks, but at least you know what it is.
I would imagine with the vehicle jacked up, it would sound even worse. Suspension at full droop, etc.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”