bad ball joint; replacing control arm

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
93til
Car: 2012 Infiniti FX35

Hey all,

My 2012 FX35 has a bad ball joint and the mechanic wants to change the entire control arm which I confirmed in another forum is necessary because the ball joint and control arm is integrated.

My questions are:

1) The mechanic says my ball joint has play and I've Googled about this that some play is allowed (in general, not specific to the FX). Is it true that some ball joint play is allowed?

2) How would I know how much play my specific car has (front lower right control arm)...that is, how can I determine this myself?

Thank you!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

93til wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:12 pm
1) The mechanic says my ball joint has play and I've Googled about this that some play is allowed (in general, not specific to the FX). Is it true that some ball joint play is allowed?
Positively untrue. Zero play is allowed in ball joints.
93til wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:12 pm
2) How would I know how much play my specific car has (front lower right control arm)...that is, how can I determine this myself?
For a lower joint, because it bears the weight of the car, the front wheel needs to be jacked in order to check the ball joint. Jack the car on the frame or subframe, not the control arm. Put a prybar between the arm and knuckle to lever the joint up and down. There should be zero yield.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”