Bad, bad , bad gas milage after some minor play.

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Malickifl
Car: Infiniti ex35 2008
LHD

So, i will do introductions and my ex35 pics in a separate tread but I have pressing issue.
I know I must have messed up something somewhere but don't know exactly what.
Ive been playing little bit (well a lot) with the car recently. Mostly cosmetic changes.
One of them involved removing air boxes, engine cover and pretty much cleaning the whole engine compartment.
Didn't use water, mild degreaser only.
I moved boxes upstair to my apartment, cleaned them, reassembled, reinstalled on a car.
Removed MAS in the process (both of them)
Battery has been disconnected for about a week on a car also.
Now we are getting to the problem:
My fuel economy went from bad (14MPG) city, to Really really bad single digits 7-9MPG
I know I have one of the fuel air sensors damaged (but that was there before)

What can I do to test, check what the problem is?
Is it that ECU is re-learning? But its pretty expensive re-learn then.

If anyone can help - please let me know.

Oh, one more thing.... Dealer is not an option really :-)
Moved the car to a place that Infiniti is an unknown (mostly) brand and EX35 never been sold here
So ....

pilotbob3

Just a couple of suggestions:

1. When cleaning the mass airflow sensors they are hugely sensitive to contamination. If you used anything other than spray mass airflow sensor cleaner through them they could become faulty or possibly ruined. You might try cleaning with high quality mass airflow sensor cleaner, or replace the sensors.

2. Did you hook up a scan tool to the car to check if there are any codes being thrown?

pilotbob3

1. When cleaning the mass airflow sensors they are hugely sensitive to contamination. If you used anything other than spray mass airflow sensor cleaner through them they could become faulty or possibly ruined. You might try cleaning with high quality mass airflow sensor cleaner, or replace the sensors.

2. Did you hook up a scan tool to the car to check if there are any codes being thrown?

Malickifl
LHD

pilotbob3 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:01 pm

Thank you for the answer.

So yes, I’ve cleaned them with MAS cleaner, and after hooking up scan tool there was no codes as to MAS

There is a code (but like I mentioned before it was there before) that’s the bank 1 sensor 2.
I’m in a process of getting one. And replacing it.

Is there any way of checking MAS on our car?

pilotbob3

I'd replace the sensor to see if the code goes away.

Also, did you clean the throttle body?

Malickifl
LHD

pilotbob3 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:33 pm
I'd replace the sensor to see if the code goes away.

Also, did you clean the throttle body?
Sensor will be here tomorrow so hopefully I’ll be able to replace it soon.

And no I didn’t touch throttle body.

pilotbob3

Probably a good idea to clean the throttle body while you are at it. Might have some carbon build up.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”