2004 FX35/45 BACKUP MONITOR (OR SENSOR) INSTALLATION HELP

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
imnprsd
Car: 2004 Infiniti FX45

My new to me 2004 Infiniti FX45 did not come with a backup camera or monitor and I would like to install one.

I'm not impressed with the rearview mirror types and I don't want a aftermarket LCD display sitting on top of my dash. All I really want are some audible "beeps" that alert me to something or someone I can't see in my rearview mirror.

Has anyone installed one of these cheap (but very well reviewed) audible backup monitors? And where did you drill hole for the sensors?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B0 ... SG09&psc=1

...Or maybe you when with a license plate sensor?

Either way, do you have any installation tips and are you happy with the backup monitor you bought?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I've only installed two universal sonars for customers. They were both China-cheap units off eBay, but they both installed and worked without any real problems. One of them had the control unit and display integrated into a single unit, and I'd suggest avoiding those. It made for routing a lot of wires a long way. You're better off with a unit that has separate control and display units, or just an audio alert without a display. Most of the kits don't have sealed control units, so be careful to mount them where they'll stay dry and put di-grease on all the connectors.

The gen1 FX's don't seem to have had factory sonar, so judging by the pics, I'd say the best spot for the sensors would be in the black under-skirt area indicated by the green arrow. The area with the blue arrow would be usable but may have the impact-bumper directly behind it, so there may not be enough clearance for the sensors. The area with the red arrow is unsuitable, notice it's angled downward and will probably cause ground clutter in the sonar returns. Like any accessory installation, inspect and measure twice (or more) and then cut once. You won't like replacing or repairing a mis-drilled bumper skirt.

04 FX35 Sonar.png
04 FX35 Sonar.png (179.21 KiB) Viewed 691 times

imnprsd

To see how I installed 4 sensors in my rear bumper, see this thread:

https://www.infinitifx.org/threads/how- ... -qx.37565/

WHAT SENSOR DO I BUY?
I recommend you buy the “wireless” parking sensor on Amazon ($36):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FT1M3WY

==> To obtain complete details and installation tips, you can download the attached .pdf file by clicking on this link to another Infiniti Forum website allows .pdf files to be uploaded.

https://www.infinitifx.org/threads/how- ... -qx.37565/
Attachments
Finished - Parking Sensor Install.jpg
20211225_154156.jpg

imnprsd

As a follow-up post ~1 year later, the sensors have been working great!

I chose the RF option so I did not have to hard wire the power or deal with running wires from the sensor control box to the visible backup display which is mounted so the driver can see it.

For power I used the backseat cigarette lighter. And I like being able to turn off the monitor power which may prolong the life of this device. (TBD)

So far so good. And I think this would make a great Father-Son or Mother-Daughter project to learn about DIY PROJECTS. ...Just in time for x-mas if you would like to have a back-up monitor in your FX and you don't have one now. also FYI, I prefer the backup monitors you hear more than the ones you look at! So don't underestimate the benefits of this very inexpensive backup system. It works great and I fee much more comfortable parking and when backing up in a shopping mall parking lot!

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”