Backup Camera

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
jerryc41
Car: 2009 Cube SL

Have any of you added a backup camera? I'm going to put one on my Cube, but I'm wondering how to run the wire into the car from the back door. I thought I'd mount it near the washer nozzle. I don't like the idea of the wire running over the top of the door, but I don't like the idea of drilling a hole, either, since it would have to be about 1/2" diameter.

randode

jerryc41 wrote:Have any of you added a backup camera? I'm going to put one on my Cube, but I'm wondering how to run the wire into the car from the back door. I thought I'd mount it near the washer nozzle. I don't like the idea of the wire running over the top of the door, but I don't like the idea of drilling a hole, either, since it would have to be about 1/2" diameter.
delete the rear wiper and put the camera in the wiper hole. no drilling.

jerryc41

As I was driving home in the snow today, I thought how nice it was to have a rear wiper.

I know that if I drill a new hole for the camera, it will start to rust eventually, no matter what I do to protect it.

randode

they have the license plate frames with the built in back u camera, but kind cheesy IMO.

jerryc41

I currently have an Audiovox backup sonar on the bottom of the license plate. It has a chrome frame and three sensors - looks nice. The problem is that it beeps too much, so I don't know when I can trust it. Too many false alarms.

I got a Pioneer backup camera that I'll connect to the Pioneer head unit - one of these days. It's about the size of a quarter.

Heavy Metal Doctor

I'm sorry guys, I may draw fire for this..... but I gotta ask....why in the world, in a car as small as a Cube, do you need a backup camera? Is it just a cool toy / gadget thing, or what? I install them all the time on trucks that you could miss seeing a city bus behind when backing up (which is why they DO need them)....but on a car this small????

jerryc41

Why a back up camera? Two reasons: 1. Backing into a parking spot, garage, etc. I know when I'm close but not too close. 2. Safety. When I'm backing out of a parking spot and looking left to see if anything's coming, I can't see a car or pedestrian coming from my right. With the camera, I can see what's behind me as I back up.

Lots of little kids are killed every year because drivers back over them - they're too short. Locally, a delivery driver did just that as he was leaving a customer's driveway. Mirrors can show you just so much.

Besides, it's a nice toy that hooks right up to my Pioneer head unit.

randode

jerryc41 wrote:Why a back up camera? Two reasons: 1. Backing into a parking spot, garage, etc. I know when I'm close but not too close. 2. Safety. When I'm backing out of a parking spot and looking left to see if anything's coming, I can't see a car or pedestrian coming from my right. With the camera, I can see what's behind me as I back up.

Lots of little kids are killed every year because drivers back over them - they're too short. Locally, a delivery driver did just that as he was leaving a customer's driveway. Mirrors can show you just so much.

Besides, it's a nice toy that hooks right up to my Pioneer head unit.
owned

Heavy Metal Doctor

randode wrote:owned
I guess so!!

Return to “Cube Forum”