Backup camera on cold days

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

On cold days the backup camera is blurry with psychedelic colors, and sometimes scrolls (I'm assuming it's the cold, because after driving around for a bit the issue goes away), I don't remember this happening when I used to drive it. I have two sets of cameras and camera modules and both are having this issue. I've never seen anyone complain about this except for one post I've found, but that post is more to the whole display doing this vs mine is just with the camera.

Does anyone experience this in cold weather, I'm north east 30 to 40 degrees F....so far. Any fix for it besides just sitting in the car and warming up? Anyone know specifically which component might actually be the culprit for this issue including the main computer and display?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Those sorts of intermittent picture quality issues are often in the connector pin-fits or the trunk/hatch wiring and not the camera.

TDot
Car: 2008 M35X, Lakeshore Slate/Tan

I forgot about cold air wire contraction. I just can't really see it contracting enough for the pins to unseat in the connectors. The cold air won't affect the harness itself unless there is a short/pinch somewhere, and I haven't really messed with those wires so I can't see that. I'm going to hit the connectors with a heat gun before starting up and see what happens.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Pin fit is easy enough to check with some 0.025" music wire or an 0.024~0.026" safety pin. If it doesn't drag noticeably when inserted, the spring is weak.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”