Back to Work

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

Well, vacation time is over. Four weeks away from work makes you ready to get back to it.

Driving from Tampa to New Jersey this weekend and back to the grind on Monday.

I'm looking at almost continuous teaching from now to well past Christmas. There has to be something better than working for a living.

The hardest part about packing to leave is deciding what CDs to take.

Stoneage_Turbo
Car: just about anything

"There has to be something better than working for a living."

when you find out let me know , im 22 and allready ready to retire , military life took too much out of me .....

"The hardest part about packing to leave is deciding what CDs to take"

ever think about changeing to Mp3 ? , did it on my car , (head unit with a accesory plug) depending on what card is onboard my player i could have like 100+ tracks , less fussing around finding CD's not to mention skipping thru the less desirable tracks , just load up the songs you want on a playlist , load it into the player plug in and go ..way i am , the less crap i have to look for and take my eyes off the road for the beatter , hate distrcations outside the cuite brunette in the stang convertable a lane over.....

ninjak84
Car: S13, Z32, Titan

im in 1st year university, and i cant wait to get out and join the work forcebe grateful you have a decent paying job, and not working in fast food!

i dont even have a job as of now

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Stoneage_Turbo wrote:"There has to be something better than working for a living."

when you find out let me know , im 22 and allready ready to retire , military life took too much out of me .....

Yeah but don't you guys get to retire at 25? or 27 something like that...hmm maybe even 32...either way it's waaaaaaaay sooner than 65 ;)

Daunttless

20 years, and as an enlisted guy like Stoney, its 20 years of absolute hell.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Daunttless wrote:20 years, and as an enlisted guy like Stoney, its 20 years of absolute hell.

An enlisted man will either stay for the duration of his enlistment such as say 3 or 5 years (no retiremnt benefits), or stay the full 20 , with retirement benefits (ie pension).In some branches of the services they still have the option of extending beyond 20 with a corresponding improvement in pension IAW the additional amount of years served (so - called "lifers")

Officers are at 20 year mandatory retirement right now also,with the exception of general officers, who do not have this mandatory 20 year limit (which makes sense it takes at least as long as that to properly train an 0-7 and up).

Fred...:)

Stoneage_Turbo

like fred said if a enlisted satys after his enlistment then he may as well do 20 , in my case i would have to enlist for a minumim of 4 more years but it beatter to go 6 because this also entails a bounus of near $21,000 for the career feild i am in (firetruck maintenace) 4 years is like $14k . so if you go that route youll be looking at 10 years in the military , by that time you have rank the job isnt as bad , so you may as well run another ten and in my case retire at 37 since i joined at 17 (delayed enlistment)

because the last 4 years have been so terrible ill happily throw away the $21,000 and take my 35k (for eduaction only) from my montgomery GI bill and go back to collage ....now dont get me wrong the military aint a bad thing , but in my case the people ive had to deal with and what they have done to my record because a personal ventdeta from a e-7 that didnt like me knowing more than him and tried me kick me out i am modiavted to move on to "greener" pastures .....

the exerence has been very interesting tho , and im walking away able to say , "hey i did something for my country ":patriot

not to mention some cool desert storys

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

I spent 15 years in the Navy as an enlisted rating and then got out. It was a tough decision, but it was the right one. I had done everything there was to be done and was looking at 5 years sitting on my thumb waiting to retire.

Besides, the retirement just isn't that good of a deal.

Stoneage_Turbo

thats for sure

i wonder how many former and present military we got around here

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Stoneage_Turbo wrote:
i wonder how many former and present military we got around here

Here's a current one.

Fred...:patriot

Stoneage_Turbo

so 3 so far 1 past and two current (one about to be past in 6months)..we should make a poll huh ?

Return to “General Chat”