back tires stick to the road on rainy day..

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
ragincajun

when the road is wet, and i'm putting my first gear at the signal(complete stop), the back tires (the rightside most...) doesn't want move and keep dragging for few secs and then go smoothly..this happens only when the road is wet and when i move the car from complete stop..i've 195/65 R15 tires ,everything on my car(92, 240sx se) is stock,any ideas y this happens, is this b/c of brakes sticking to the rim r problem with cluthc...

any help

thanksragincajun

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Sounds to me like you are actually spinning the tires. You do not have a limited slip differintial, which means that when you begin to lose traction (like in wet and rainy situations), the power goes to one wheel (your right side). It is probably spinning in place due to the wet pavement and not actually dragging at all. The only thing i can suggest is to accelerate a little slower, or maybe check to see if your back tires are balding (this is a rear wheel drive car after all). Hope this helps!

Jusepi97sx
Car: S14's

i think what Jnm said is probably the case.. when wet, my back tires slip also ... what i do is shift to a higher hear quicker.. so put it in 1st to start moving then shift to 2nd and 3rd quickly.. also better tires should help that problem.. i'd suggest getting some wider tires maybe 205 or 215 if they'll fit.. not real sporty tires tho.. they worsten the problem, they will grip very well on drive pavement tho...

if something was wrong with your brakes are clutch etc.. you would feel it all the time, not just when it is wet..

I H8 UR DSM

put some extra weight in your trunk ; )

or just learn to drive RWD stick in the rain!!!!!!!!

doesnt sound like anything is wrong with your car. maybe get rain tires if it rains alot where you are.

ragincajun

thanks for the comments, i feel the same , problem is with the tires and not the car.....the tires look good, i mean no balding only not good enough for wet roads..ragincajun

trpower7

I am wiht H8 UR DSM on this one, driving RWD standard in the rain was probably one of the hardest things I had to master, and I did in an 89 Toy pickup. Whatever you do, if you know your tires are like this, do NOT go tear-assing around turns in the rain, you will throw that rear end out and slide from here to kingdom come. I've seen two buddies wreck their cars that way. Practice at low speeds turning adn starting, it shouldn't be too hard.

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

Put some ill ice in your trunk, or get out and push

Xeromist
Car: Cars, Music, Computers

I H8 UR DSM wrote:put some extra weight in your trunk
But be careful. If you put too much weight in the trunk it will be harder to stop a slide once you've started.

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

I think the thing to remember in case of a slide, DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES! You need to keep your wits about you and use them just till they start to lock up and left off and repeat. Ive avoided many rainy collisions like this (and amazed a few passangers that i did so too). Take care!

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

In the event of rain always try to drive around with the A/c on. It takes alot of the bite out of the car. Also when you begin to slide out always let off the throttle and correct the slide... never hit the brakes as that will impair your imputs and will only make things worse. If you are moving simply shifting into the next gear in a slow manner (aka not racing or slam shifting) will stop wheel spin.

Daunttless

You just have to have mad drifting skills like Takumi. : )

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

I can drift... Takumi ownz me though.

Daunttless

Takumi owns everyone.

boMex

...ahem....ah i just was ....well......going to say that Takumi doesn't own me....that's all

mndrift

trpower7 wrote:do NOT go tear-assing around turns in the rain, you will throw that rear end out and slide from here to kingdom come.
and what would be wrong with that?????? isn't that why you got a rwd car in the first place? :D

FrEaK
Car: Boosted D21 Pickup

I got rear wheel drive because it came with the car... i was sold on the car not the drive train.... although i suppose it did help :)

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

boMex wrote:...ahem....ah i just was ....well......going to say that Takumi doesn't own me....that's all
I'm pretty lame....... I know, but who the hell is Takumi, and in what way does he "own" me, I don't feel owned, what's that like?

Daunttless

He's the main character from Initial D, drift masta pro. : )

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

Oooooohh yeah, Initial D...... (right?) Heard of it, never seen it! and don't tell me to down load some, dial-up forces me to get hobbies outside the home!

ragincajun

i agree with mndrift, its a rear wheel drive....thats all i wanted ....to all others..... i missed quiet a few mishaps.... i was able to control at the right time......ragincajun

Return to “240sx General Discussion”