Back Bumper Height - Large Dog Owner

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

Hey guys, I have a large dog that I like to haul around in the back of an SUV, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me the height from the ground to the top of the back bumper, as my dog would have to jump this high to get in the back. The RAV4 has a nice low bumper/cargo area, but the Rogue looks like it is quite a bit higher. Any dog owners own a Rogue? Thanks a lot!!

Lakerfan1975
Car: Nissan Rogue

I have a Boston Terrier that can make it up into the back area by herself as well as into the back seat even with the seats laid down. I would think that any larger size dog that can jump halfway well should have no problem.

Ticmxman
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL 2WD Gotham Gray

27-1/2'' to top of bumper another 1 1/2'' to the floor height. I had a RAV and the Rogue floor height is higher. But I sure don't miss my RAV.

Mander
Car: nissan rogue

I have a great dane, that weighs 155-160. She fits great. I don't know about the exact height, but it's a lot lower than my 4 runner was. I haven't had any real problems with getting her in and out of the car. Trying to see out the back is an issue but, it is in any car I have with her. I believe the cargo area is bigger in the rogue than the rav 4.

phantom of the opera
Car: 2008 Venom Red

I don't have a dog, but I remember seeing this product when I was searching for mats.

http://www.weathertech.com/sto...=2008

jlsatt00

I have two dogs; 35 and 45 pounds. They have no problems getting in and out of the back of my Rogue.

jsellberg
Car: '08 rogue iridium graphite sl awd premium

i just have a pug (15lbs) and he usually rides in the backseat with his harness on. i'm just trying to figure out a way to keep him from scratching the side of my door without completely putting him in a kennel / carrying case thing. i know they have "dog blankets" to put on the seat but i'm worried about the side of my door because he likes to stand up and look out the window.

ps- i like how they used mostly small dogs in that "pet step" ad. just pick your 3lb yorkie up and put them in the back. not that hard?

jlsatt00

I too have the same concern as my dogs sometimes like to crawl from the rear to the back seat. I am probably going to buy a barrier to keep them in the back, but here is one option under consideration for preventing door scratching.

http://www.autoanything.com/se....aspx

jsellberg

thanks,i'll have to check those out for sure. he'd definitely like being in the backseat as opposed to the back in a kennel

RogueWarrior
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Gotham Gray

We were thinking of getting a dog, and were concerned with what size dog to get, if it matters, because of space in the cargo area of the Rogue. Could a medium to large breed like a Labrador travel comfortably in the cargo area? I saw an earlier post from a Great Dane owner, but how comfortable could it be for a dog that size? Any one else have a Labrador or Greyhound which travels comfortably back there?

philipa_240sx

My 50lb Plott Hound travels in the back seat with a harness that clips into the seat belt. The harness is adjusted so she can sit or lay down. This keeps her from wandering around the car and provides a degree of safety. She does find it a bit of a jump up to the back seat though.

Never thought of putting her in the cargo area with a pet barrier. I think I prefer the harness method.

jsellberg

^ yeah, if i HAD to i might put him in the cargo area with his harness on the latch system, but otherwise i feel more safe with him in the backseat in his car harness. he only weighs 18lbs though, so he's not half the size as some of your dogs, haha.

RogueWarrior

I agree that the back seat is a safer place for the dog, but it is usually occupied by my young kids. I was wondering how the cargo area would be for 50-75 lb. dogs.

jsellberg

it would probably be fine. i'd just get him a car harness and tether it to the latch system.

if we get another dog my backseat will still be fine, but if we have another kid the dogs will have to go in the cargo area, haha.

RogueWarrior

Thanks jsellberg, I'll consider this while looking to adopt.

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

jsellberg wrote:i just have a pug (15lbs) and he usually rides in the backseat with his harness on. i'm just trying to figure out a way to keep him from scratching the side of my door without completely putting him in a kennel / carrying case thing. i know they have "dog blankets" to put on the seat but i'm worried about the side of my door because he likes to stand up and look out the window.

ps- i like how they used mostly small dogs in that "pet step" ad. just pick your 3lb yorkie up and put them in the back. not that hard?
Pug huh? We have 2 Pugs. I haven't had them in the Rogue yet though.

kerrton

Hey guys, I just put a down payment on a Rogue finally, and I was looking at the cargo area in the showroom and I'm no longer concerned about the height up to the cargo area, or the total surface area, but now the height looks like it might be a bit of an issue for very large dogs. I have an 80 lb husky/border collee and I think her head will just clear the ceiling but there won't be much room to spare. The person with 155 lb great dane must have the dog laying down at all times because there couldn't be enough height for a dog that size. Can anyone with large dogs comment on how limiting the height is in the cargo area? Thanks.

jsellberg

yeah. i bought this stupid carseat thing for "medium sized dogs". it was like 45$. medium my butt, yoda broke it sooo fast. apparently its not made for pugs, more like teacup chihuahuas or something. i just put a baby blanket over the seat (tuck it into the center and under the front) and put his car harness on and attach it to the latch system. he rides behind the drivers seat. his claws dont do anything on the siding at all. he likes to lick the window though, haha.

we're getting a frenchie in about 6 months. we'll see how she does since she will be a tidbit bigger than yoda.
Modified by jsellberg at 7:42 AM 4/2/2008

Etch
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL - Phantom White

jsellberg wrote:yeah. i bought this stupid carseat thing for "medium sized dogs". it was like 45$. medium my butt, yoda broke it sooo fast. apparently its not made for pugs, more like teacup chihuahuas or something. i just put a baby blanket over the seat (tuck it into the center and under the front) and put his car harness on and attach it to the latch system. he rides behind the drivers seat. his claws dont do anything on the siding at all. he likes to lick the window though, haha.

we're getting a french in about 6 months. we'll see how she does since she will be a tidbit bigger than yoda.
Frenchies are cool, but I think we are going to get a Boston Terrier next. I've owned 4 Pugs so far and their awesome dogs, but they are some serious shedders!

jsellberg

we thought about a boston but they are SO hyper. we need one more laid back to calm yoda down. hes crazy. plus im in love with the 'frog dogs' :D . after the frenchie we're getting a boxer, not sure how long on that one though.

Wannabe08
Car: 2010 SL AWD Wicked Black

I have two big dogs. Tucker is my 80 pound Yellow Lab and Pearl is my 85 pound Bullmastiff.

Both have no problem getting in and fitting in the back cargo area. If I were to take them on an extended trip I'd drop the back seats and use my barrier.

"Strive to be the person your dog thinks you are"

kerrton

Thanks Wannabe08, that makes me feel better. I noticed you had a picture attached to that message, but I couldn't view it or open it. Anyway, thanks again, the info is much appreciated.

Mander
Car: nissan rogue

Hi, the great dane owner here. I am going to take pics of her in the car and post, at some point this weekend. She's not to be in a seat belt or anything like that - it just isn't feasible for a dog her size. So - check back for pix!!

kerrton

Mander, that would be much appreciated! Thank you very much for taking the time to take the pics and share them with us!!

Return to “Rogue Forum”