B&M Short shifter Making crazy noises HELP PLEASE!

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Emperor

My lovely and beautiful girlfriend thoughtfully bought me the B&M short shifter for my birthday yesterday. I was soooo excited. Got it last night and couldnt sleep cause i was thinking about installing it all night. So anyways, I read all the instructions and began to install. Went through and finished everything. I then took it out for a drive. Felt and sounded nice at first, but then.... Randomly it started to sound like a heat sheild on my cat was rattling real loud, very tinny. But then as the day progress that sound sorta went away, but now all i can hear is a slushy rattling in the transmission. How could that happen? all i did was switch the freakin shifter, if i messed this up bad im quitting now. Please help me because Enjuku doesnt have help and neither does B&M through email. You guys are my only Help. Thanks for any replies, any suggestions will help.Info:

97 240sx Coupe 5spd 37k miles

-Paul

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

um, maybe you dropped something into the transmission when you had the stick out?? heh...prob not but figured I'd bump your post to the top for some help.

Emperor

Thanks, i was actually thinking the same thing, but i have no idea how that would be... but tommarow morning im ripping the thing apart again and checking everything. hopefully i solve the problem. it sucks this happened though cause now my girlfriend is regreting buying it for me.

Could it possibly be that it needs wearing in time?... i doubt it. this noise im hearing is pretty annoying. :confused:

:help :help

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

It should not need breaking in at all. All the short shifter is doing is changing the fulcrum of the shift angle higher so that it requires less travel at the top for the same ammount of movement at the bottom. You're not the only person ive heard of having problems with a B&M shifter. Ive had a C's shifter in my car for 3 years now and not a single problem. Only thing i can think of is make sure you lube up the collar and shifter ball with some white lithium grease. Good luck!

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

I know of B&M, OBX, and Nismo short shifters... never heard of a C's short shifter. Where can I find out more about them...? (how much, easy install, easy fit, where to buy one, etc.. etc.. etc....)

BTW... I see you have H&R "progressive rate springs".... all coil springs are progressive rate... the only linear rate suspension springs are torsion bars. Just confused, did they advertise that as a selling point?... if so, that's lame that they would do that to people.

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

The C's short shifter is a Japanese brand shifter (I believe)I THINK I remember seeing them for sale on http://www.j-spec.com before..they were kinda pricey, but excellent from what i've heard.

there wasn't much option when I got my Nismo shifter, which I paid like 150-180.. i forget exactly (since I bought it with a few other things)

and man.... Hopefully the B&M isn't defective..they have always made a really good product, and damn its expensive too!hopefully its an easy fix.. all I would suggest doing is just removing it and starting from step one again..

it looked like a pain in the butt to install.. don't you have to unbolt those 6 bolts on top of the trans? ouch....

-Dan

Emperor

Yeah and the two front bolts were only accesable from under the car, but you couldnt even really get to them from under. I actually had to try and fit my fingers under the metal O andput the shifter in fourth. but then after some knuckle bleeding time i got them loose. Guess im going to call the bishez&Mongaloids long distance help number since the are too lazy to accept Email tech support. Thanks for the replys, Ill keep you all up to date.

Emperor

Well just finished ripping it all apart and checking everything. I noticed while i was down under the car that my downpipe heat sheild was rusted all to hell so i ripped it off thinking that that could have been some of the noise i thought i was hearing. But it wasnt. It sounds almost like its coming from the first muffler now, i dont get it, could it just be that there is something stuck in my exhaust and just coincidentally happened right as i did my second mod to my car? eh... Im going to go get it checked out by someone who knows something i guess. :confused:

Jubs180
Car: my 240sx, my computers, my anime collection, learning spanish and japanese, and of course, My beauti

I hope the B&M is worth the extra 100+ :)after its all said and done and you feel it is working right.. do a lil' write up and tell us how it is compared to stock.. (although anything is better than stock).

The Nismo shifter was a breeze to install... all I needed was a screwdriver, and some c-clip plier thingies (or needlenose).the shifter is just held down by one of those c clips.came right out, and went right in.

hardly any chance for any error.

-Dan

as for the heatshield... I removed all of mine, except the one on the cat, it wasn't rusted... but from the cat up was all rusted to hell and rattled at certain RPM's..like 3000.. man that was annoying... going 70 on the freeway all the way to school..

just rip those damn things off :D

just try not to park over any tall dry/dead grass :D

-Dan

boMex

Quote » "]BTW... I see you have H&R "progressive rate springs".... all coil springs are progressive rate... the only linear rate suspension springs are torsion bars. Just confused, did they advertise that as a selling point?... if so, that's lame that they would do that to people. [/quote]A coil with constant overall diameter, as well as a constant number of coils per ft will be linear rate. For example, that means that it will take 50lbs. to compress each inch of the spring. If you have a spring with 12"of travel it will take 600 lbs to fully compress the spring. By tapering the coil you can make it a progressive rate spring and alter its ramp up. :sleep

GodDrivesA240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx

Emperor wrote:Well just finished ripping it all apart and checking everything. I noticed while i was down under the car that my downpipe heat sheild was rusted all to hell so i ripped it off thinking that that could have been some of the noise i thought i was hearing. But it wasnt. It sounds almost like its coming from the first muffler now, i dont get it, could it just be that there is something stuck in my exhaust and just coincidentally happened right as i did my second mod to my car? eh... Im going to go get it checked out by someone who knows something i guess. :confused:
I thought about this last night when I made my first post, but figured it couldn't possibly be it(strange coincident I thought). BUT you might want to check your cat and see if the platinum is comming out of it and getting stuck in your exhaust. It happened to my car and the noise it made was very close to what you describe

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

boMex has my back. Thanks dude! :ylsuper I got my C's short shift kit from NOPI about 4 years ago. I seem to recall paying something like $220-250 or so for it. As far as installing, damn i would rather pull the thing back out to ADD GEAR OIL than crawl under the car and go thru the plug on the side of the transmission! Unscrew the shift knob, take the console trim (complete with shift boot) off, 4 screws hold the metal trim ring and plastic boot on. I dont really remember how the old one came out, but now i have 4 allen screws (5mm) that clamp the shifter down around the collar of the transmission. If i take 2 of those off, i can swing the retaining arms to the side and slide the shifter out. Takes like 3 minutes. Hell it usually takes me LONGER to find my 5mm allen wrench! As far as quality, i can say i have NEVER had so much as a niggle of doubt. This thing is better than stock. First to second gear is about 5 inches travel now. If you can find it, i HIGHLY recomend it. As for your B&M, be sure to check the alignment of the shifter. It only fits in one way. Is it possible you have it upside down? Double check that the end of the shifter is actually sitting in the socket inside the transmission. After that, lube the lower part of the assembly up with lith grease. Hope this helps a least a little! Good luck!!

MaineExport
Car: Quad racing, import cars and Trucks. Hunting, fishing whatever.

boMex wrote:
A coil with constant overall diameter, as well as a constant number of coils per ft will be linear rate. For example, that means that it will take 50lbs. to compress each inch of the spring. If you have a spring with 12"of travel it will take 600 lbs to fully compress the spring. By tapering the coil you can make it a progressive rate spring and alter its ramp up. :sleep
I WAS WRONG...sorry. I looked it up and you are indeed correct..... damn I hate that :rolleyes

Oohh.. but I did find a sight that said linear rate coil springs are used almost exclusively on race cars. The whole point of the progressive rate spring is to allow a comfortable ride that absorbs the bumps, but gets stiffer as weight shifts. So... if you want that "race car" reformance and feel.. ditch those progressive rate springs! :D

Emperor

Yeah i just went to the shop and he removed all the rest of the heat sheilds. doesnt make one of the noises now. Damn that shifter is awesome but boy is it pissin me off. gonna have to call long distance for tech support now. Should have price as 260 + shipping+ tech help line fees.

STILL:

:confused:

Emperor

Well the guy says they are just loud. How the hell was i supposed to know that without any sorta warning? oh well maybe im dumb. anyways the guy was one of the nicest people ive ever talked to, which is amazing because most parts companies have a holier than though attitude :icesangel . But yeah he gave me a hint saying i should stick wheel weights on the stick and it should calm down the vibration. thanks for your help guys.

Emperor

OH YEAH. but anyways, about my review on the shifter. You may not agree with me but that thing is sweeet. well worth the money. It has such a solid feel, real high quality. It's also got a lifetime warranty with it. The thing has such a short throw on it im having a hard time pushing the clutch in fast enough. Now im thinkin new clutch and flywheel for my next time. Im sure ill be back on asking for help again:help :D .

SPIRO

I had the same problem with my B&M i installed half a year ago. Turns out it was just the shift knob that came with it thatw as making all of that rattling noise! theres a little B&M logo that u place on top of the knob. Thats the culprit. I cut my stock shiftknob shorter from the bottom so it would fit n screwed it on and i havent had a problem since. Looks completely stock. I highly recomend this shifter it is excellently built, completely solid, the throws are perfect n extremly short. I love it.

aeonflux268766
Car: drifting, mmorpg, sunkist, various mind altering substances

Hmm, on pdm they say something about the new b&m shifter for 240sx was spose to fix the high rpm buzzing noise that they had been making... Perhaps you have the old version, or maybe they just didnt fix it... Personally, my engine/tranny swap came with a short shifter on it, im assuming its C's as it looks identical. It works perfect tho...

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”