Axle seal leak

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
dillrobrogue
Car: ???

The passenger side axle seal on my 2009 Rogue SL AWD has a small leak. It's been dripping a little for at least a year.

I assume it is leaking CVT fluid. Is this correct?

I checked the CVT fluid level and it is still at the upper level of the range.

Since the dealer quoted $525 to replace the seal, I plan to let it drip a little and monitor/top off the CVT fluid as necessary.

Any issues with this approach?

Thanks,

Bob

Rogue Jarhead
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue Krom

It’ll work till it doesn’t. Eventually it will start to more than drip and then you’ll have problems. Seals are not hard to change. You tube is your friend.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

dillrobrogue wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:30 am

Since the dealer quoted $525 to replace the seal, I plan to let it drip a little and monitor/top off the CVT fluid as necessary.

Bob
Go to any mechanic and pay a fraction of the dealer price. A new seal is like $10, the labor should be 1/2 to 1hr. They will probably try to sell you a new cv axle, but if it's fine tell them no and just replace the seal.

08RogueAWD
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

The axle seal is real easy. Just gotta get the CV axle out of the way. I don't see why they want $500! Depending on your local labor rate, it should be maybe $200 on the high end to change at an independent mechanic. I would change it sooner rather than later too. If the leak suddenly gets worse, you may not know it until it's too late.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

08RogueAWD wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:56 am
The axle seal is real easy. Just gotta get the CV axle out of the way. I don't see why they want $500! Depending on your local labor rate, it should be maybe $200 on the high end to change at an independent mechanic. I would change it sooner rather than later too. If the leak suddenly gets worse, you may not know it until it's too late.
Because it’s the dealership where they squeeze every LAST penny from you. :bash:

Just spent over $1,000 just replacing both control arms.

Altogether, over $1,300 to bleed brake lines and an alignment.

Yes, I am a dumb s*** for doing that. They got me right in the nuts. :owned:

Return to “Rogue Forum”