AWD NX2k???

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
HurryupandrunS13
Car: 1992 240 fastback

Does anyone know of, or heard of someone putting the entire AWD drivetrain from the Pulsar into an NX, or even Sentra? This idea really interests me and anythings possible with a saw and a welder. I've never seen it done but if this tweaks anyone elses interest, please comment!

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Do a search, this has been discussed many times. It's never been done and would be very expensive.

Chris859

On a different forum someone was in the process of doing just that on a pulsar. It is VERY involved, and if you dont have either : A TON of money laying around to pay a chassis, and fabrication shop to do all of the work for you... Or have a pretty hefty chunk of change, and awesome fabrication skills/equipment - then this isn't getting done. You pretty much have to cut out the whole rear of the car and fabricate a whole new subframe... as well as a tunnel for the driveshaft, and cutting more sheetmetal up front, and making custom mounts(as the awd trans uses different mounts). Overall - not worth it.

UK-P11GT
Car: nissan primera p11 gt

HurryupandrunS13 wrote:Does anyone know of, or heard of someone putting the entire AWD drivetrain from the Pulsar into an NX, or even Sentra? This idea really interests me and anythings possible with a saw and a welder. I've never seen it done but if this tweaks anyone elses interest, please comment!
the awd can be put in to the nx but would be very awkward as it doesnt have a transmission tunnel for the propshaft through to the rear axle,it couldnt be used on the sentra as its too wide and the propshaft would be too short, the cefiro transmission and and rear axle would have to be used

nametakennow

That's an interesting bit about the Cefiro. I wonder if an AWD swap been attempted here in the 'States using an imported Cefiro transmission instread.

UK-P11GT
Car: nissan primera p11 gt

cefiros are tough to find here in the uk, especially in pieces, ppl here just keep them altogether. now that I remember, the cefiro started life with the rb20det engine, but the rear axle and propshaft can be used with any rear wheel drive transmission,

speeddocsson
Car: 2006 NIssan Titan,1991 Infiniti M30 vert. TURBO,1969 Datsun 1600 roadster, 1975 Honda CB550 cafe

nametakennow wrote:Do a search, this has been discussed many times. It's never been done and would be very expensive.
After some research i have found someone who has done it in a sentra..

Here is the link to the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8bAariYtBw

But i do agree that it would be very expensive and time-consuming....

but still REAlly sick

89_trailboss

Buddy has a 93 NX2000. SR20DET.

he needs more traction right now. first thing will be an LSD up front. where can we purchase one? are they all vicours(sp?) or can you get a clutch style lsd?

second thing is he wants to do a AWD swap if he still needs traction after installing an LSD. we have the AWD tranny that came with the SR20DET thats in the car. so we will be needing the rear subframe/diff. what cars use a similar setup? the fabrication of the rear subframe and tunnel wont be an issue for me, finding the parts will be. I have no real idea where to start looking. looking for modle numbers of the rear diff as well as what cars overseas came with a similar setup.

anyhelp?

nametakennow

VLSD's were standard in several SR-powered cars, the newest/strongest transmission with one would be the 00-01 Sentra SE performance package or the 99-02 Infiniti G20 Touring. Those bolt right on.

For awhile there was a QUAIFE available, I believe, but I've never seen one. The B15 SE-R had a 6spd with a helical LSD, but it takes some modification to fit and early ones weren't very good (bad syncros and such).

If you have the time and the skills to get an AWD setup working, have at it. Your best bet for the rear is probably going to be a Pulsar GTi-R. There may have been an AWD Bluebird as well, I can't remember exactly, so that might work too, though the Pulsar is definitely the better match.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”