AWD Convertible in our Future?

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
Sebago
Car: '04 & '08 G35x

Do you think there will be an AWD (x) option for the convertible in the coming years? It’s now offered for the coupe. Where I live, AWD is a prerequisite if you intend to drive a car year-round and travel back roads. I expect to be trading cars again in mid 2011.

xtrema

My guess would be 99.99% no.

1) It's already very heavy

2) Other than Audi (which has a soft top), nobody have AWD convertibles.

3) Chances are if you NEED AWD, you don't have many day to enjoy convertible in the first place anyway. May as well go buy a coupe.

DaviddelWA
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible, black on black

Infiniti said no due to the additional weight and cost of AWD.

Potomac-Greg
Car: 2009 G37 Convertible

I understand the reasoning here, and with modern traction electronics, a RWD car does pretty well in snow and rain. But at the limit, and AWD can't be beat. I think Audi may be the only maker selling AWD convertibles (A5 and TT).

I used to have a TT Roadster and people would laugh at me keeping my Mercedes in the garage in the snow and driving a two seat convertible!

Poyzinous
Car: 2004 G35x Premium 1976 Classic Red 36 inch #18 Radio Flyer Wagon...

From what I've been told, no AWD. The coupe is available with AWD, but not the convertible. It will require even more R&D and make it unneccessarily heavy. Once the RHT is perfected, you never know, we may see the G37x Convertible.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

Poyzinous wrote:From what I've been told, no AWD. The coupe is available with AWD, but not the convertible. It will require even more R&D and make it unneccessarily heavy. Once the RHT is perfected, you never know, we may see the G37x Convertible.
I think they are planning a drop top version for the G39x

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”