AWD and RB26 in a r32 gts-t

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
noname7199
Car: 300zx tt, 240sx

I'm finally ready to seriously start looking for a skyline. I want an r32 gtr, but I am seeing a lot more gts's for sale. I've heard its possible to swap in an rb26 and convert to awd. I've done plenty of motor swaps so I'm not worried about the work, but I want to make sure its worth doing the conversion. Are there any write ups from people who have actually done it? If I have a front clip will I be able to just swap everything over or will I have to fabricate anything?

winez31
Car: 1993 s13 ka24de

i would just like to say welcome to nico

rb20det_pwr
Car: skyline hcr32

Is there any specific reason you'd like to BUILD a 32 GTR as opposed to buying one? Or take the RB26 and just stay rear wheel drive?

Anything is possible..But TMS has mentioned before how completely different the underworkings of a GTS-T and a GTR..If your'e really stuck on the four wheel drive swapping the 26 into a GTS4 MIGHT make more sense..

themadscientist
Car: R32 GTR, DR30 RS Turbo, BRZ, Lunchbox, NSR50 Sportster 883 Iron
Location: Staring down at you with disdain from the spooky mountaintop castle.

Buy a GTS-4. It is basically a baby GT-R with the same 4WD system but an RB20DET in it, narrower rear fenders and steel front fenders and hood as the GTS-T. I had one and it was very fun. The RB20 struggled to get it going from a dead stop though, you will probably want to swap in a 26 if you are serious.

ONISPEED
Car: 1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32

Check out our GTS-4 with an RB26DETT in it... AWD too!

http://www.jdm-imports.com/whatsnew/BIPGTR4.html

1990 Skyline GTS-4 (GTR-32 Conversion)Engine: Rebuilt RB26DETT with only 500 kms5-Speed with Short Shifter kit

Modification List:Turbo Back 3.5 inch exhaust; with twin tail pipeTwin Apexi IntakesTomei Boost ControllerMines ECUNismo 260 km/h speedoA/F Fuel PumpNismo Strut Tower BarJIC CoiloversSlotted Rotors in Front with GTR Brakes Front & RearNismo LSDGT-R Front end conversionASA 18"Rims, 265 wideGT-R32 seats (front & rear)Carbon Fiber HoodN1 Lights

noname7199
Car: 300zx tt, 240sx

The reason I'm thinking about it is because I definatly want awd and i found a gts-t that was legalized by motorx. what is different about the underside of the 2 cars? Is there room to fit everything under a GTS? The GTS-4 is nice, but I only want a 2 door. I read about an s14 that had an rb26 and awd, and I know anything can be done with enough money... I'd really like a read through to see if I feel like I can do it or not. Ideally I'd like to find a legalized GTR for under $20, but I'm pretty impatient and I've been waiting for 4 years to be able to afford to get one.

kelaog
Car: 1990 r32 Nissan Skyline GTS-T

GTS-4 does not mean four doors. It means Four wheel drive ft. Atessa steering .

A fourdoor r32 GTS-4 is rare. So yeah, either buy a GTR or buy the GTS-4. Buying the GTS-T will require far too much work than it's worth.

themadscientist

You are talking about building a car basically from the ground up. The differences in the unibody are SUBSTANTIAL. If you were some rich guy with a blank check and a team of engineers fine but I do not get that impression. You would easily spend over 20K just in parts trying to convert a T to a 4 and that is after you buy the car. I spent almost 3K on the peices to replace the front end on my R30. You need to change strut towers, engine cradle, floorpan, suspension etc. I hate to say "give up" but give up.If you want the RB26 and AWD I highly recommend you continue to save your money and keep an eye out for a complianced GT-R. GTS-4s come 2-door as well so watch for those too.

kelaog

Amen... I'm kind of wishing I got the GTS-4 because of the snow here, or a GTR, but I wanted good gas mileage so I'm happy with the HCR32. :D

and I got a wicked deal on it :D

So yeha take the advice from the guy in a spooky mountain top castle oooo..

He's the man.

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

kelaog wrote:
So yeha take the advice from the guy in a spooky mountain top castle oooo..

He's the man.
Actually, he is just an oveaged American,who couldn't cut it in the states, so he moved to Japan to boost his ego.

themadscientist

You are just jealous because I have b-pillars.

rb20det_pwr
Car: skyline hcr32

themadscientist wrote:You are just jealous because I have b-pillars.
ahahaahha! at first I was confused, but then it clicked

themadscientist

Wish the two-door R30s had em. That's why the four doors were faster!

kelaog

I think you should stick useless gages in there hahaha.

Just so your passengers can fear your boost

themadscientist

I currently have eight guages on my dashboard. F15 pilots would have a hard time watching them all and driving.

anoush32bit
Car: 1991 skyline gts t r32 RB20DET

I was wondering I have the 1991 gts t r32 RB20DET and I wish to swap the engine to RB26DETT, and I want to leave it rear only, do I still have to change the gearbox or the motor just easily bolds on the RB20DET gearbox?

giantR32typeM
Car: 1993 nissan skyline R32 gts-t type M

dud buy the r32 gtst put the rb26 in it and f***in drift it

anoush32bit
Car: 1991 skyline gts t r32 RB20DET

alright that's the s***zz i'll do that....

Gold Digger
Car: Current:
2011 Infiniti G25X

Former:
1995 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec Midnight Purple
1990 Nissan Laurel Club S Turbo Two Tone Pearl

Damn. This thread is almost three years old. Holy cow.
giantR32typeM wrote:dud buy the r32 gtst put the rb26 in it and f***in drift it
Yeah, if it were just that simple.

What you will need to do the swap.

RB26DETT engine, ECU and wiring harness, minus trans.RB25DET 5 speed transModified RB25DET oil pan (because the front diff of the GT-R goes through the oil pan on the RB26.)The biggest issue is the money you're going to spend getting an RB26 engine and an RB25 trans.

People have cut out the diff on the oil pan and modified it somewhat (there is a thread on it somewhere here in the Skyline forum) and have also cut off the transfer case from the RB26 trans and just welded a plate over the hole. Don't know if I'd go that route, though.

All the info you need is on NICO, just need to do a good search for it and you can find it.

streetapostle
Car: skyline

I know it's been a long time since this was brought up.... but the question to the post never was answered. So,.. without opinions on why it shouldn't be done... does anyone know how to do the conversion, what it would take, or has anyone done the conversion (better yet done + documented it) and can offer any Help and instruction on how it can be done. Here's my situation. Unlike the original member's= I already have a r32 gts-t, missed out on buying a second gts4 and can't find another, Haven't found anyone who would want to trade for a gtr + cash. Mine is registered, so that to me is part of the value and reason for keeping it. I have a r32 rb26dett and rb25 tranny at my tuner shop waiting for the build plan. So, the reason I decided I want a awd, and wont budge on that is... in my opinion, the awd and how it works on the skyline is what makes it unique, and a huge reason for the desire and value of the car. I own a few cars that I love and appreciate for their unique qualities.( vr4 3000, e39 M5, e30 M3) The gtr awd isn't like any other awd chassis. If I kept it rwd, it wouldn't differ much from a silvia with an rb26 swap. I offer this explanation to answer all of the previous questions/opinions posted asking why the hell go through all the trouble to do this. I'm contemplating as well a possible rb24det swap into the e30 to build a drift car. My other idea is to sell the rb20det, rb25 tranny, rb26dett crank/turbos/pistions/rocker arms and my e30 to help fund my project. Thanks.

tyndago

Look up Full Race and their R14. Just about the same kind of thing.

However I do think it doesn't make a lot of sense to start with the lesser car, and try and make it into the upper end car. It always ends up costing twice as much, is half as good, and worth next to nothing if you resell it.

streetapostle
Car: skyline

Thanks for that. It was exactly what I was looking for. Thus far the project hasn't budged. I'm selling my bmw m5 to fund this project. I've seen less skylines for sell than I use to.. so the option of buying a gtr hasn't arose. Just the engine build is looking like over 10 thousand. And that's with the engine and tranny bought already. It takes a lot of patience for this project. And I often have to remind myself or maybe question whether I still have enough will power and the desire to go through the process. I'm making this my main project goal, and have gone too far to head back now. I will post video and pics of build as it goes.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”