Automatic engine fit into my Manual 300zx?

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Vhenom123
Car: 1990 300zx Twin Turbo

Hey guys,
Have had my 300zx for about 4 years now and need to drop a new engine in it. I am currently pulling the old motor out right now (Sitting in my driveway while I work on it) and I need to buy a engine. Most of the used engines I see the Automatic ones look in a hell of allot better shape then the manuals one I have found. So my question is can I buy an automatic VG30DETT and drop it into my already manual car (drop in read not buying a ton of sh*t for it). so here's what I know, I know that the automatic engines have smaller turbos AND smaller Cams. I have a ton done to my Z including a JIM WOLFE ECU, will this play okay with an automatic motor?

Ill be putting a new 60k kit, new injectors, new spark plugs, plenum gasket, throttle body gasket, valve cover seals, and doing full EGR, AIV, CC, PRVR, deletes.

TLDR
1. What are the differences I'm missing
2. Will my car accept an Automatic motor
3. What do I need to do if it does (or does not)
4. Does the Manual EFI harness work on it?
5. Do I use my JIM WOLFE ECU or an automatic one?
6. Thank you for all the help in advance.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

1. There is a hell of a lot more than just dropping the engine in.
1.1. Please use the search feature, this has been covered literally hundreds of times (at least 10 of them by me). There is also a document floating around from Z1 Motorsports that covers everything that is needed for a TT swap, try searching for that.
2. Yes
3. See 1.1
4. Yes but only if xxxxx. See 1.1
5. An NA ECU cannot be used regardless of where it came from. Again See 1.1
6. You'll run into a ton of weird little questions and issues along the way which would also have been covered and I and many others will be much more inclined to help you if you do some of your own research up front. This isn't a "NA engine out. . . TT engine in." operation, there is a lot more that comes into play.

Vhenom123

I appreciate the response, but I think you misunderstood me.
1. I already have a VG30DETT, I'm not swapping motors from an N/A to a TT. I'm swapping from a TT to a TT, normal engine replacement. But the used engines I have found to buy, (the nicer ones/less abused ones), are attached to an Auto transmission.
2. I think you jumped the gun a tad when responding cause no where did I say N/A to TT swap.
3. Other than the Pilot bushing and the smaller cams, can an AUTOMATIC TT ENGINE be dropped into my manual car. (without fuss)
4. I did allot of research thank you, but there was only ONE other thread on this forum about this and it did not answer my specific questions.

NolimitZ32

1. Just because the engine looks nicer on the outside doesn't mean it is, if its not local then you run the risk of getting screwed because even the 30 day warranty wont mean jack from most of the used engine (JDM engine) places, they'll blame the install. See JDM Engine Experiences Thread. If you can find one local do a leakdown test or better yet see if you can find one that's still in the car (and can be started) so you can do a compression test as well. It's really easy to take a paperweight and steam clean it. Be weary, lots of people have had terrible experiences with used engines.
2. Didn't realize you were already TT, my bad.
3. Yes, the engines are physically the same size, same castings, same plumbing, etc.
4. I call BS, the Z1 document and the Z32 wiki cover exactly the questions you're asking. Just the first page of searching "vg30dett auto manual" on NICO brings up 4 useful threads https://www.nicoclub.com/search#gsc.tab ... &gsc.sort=. They aren't titled "Here are the differences between the Auto and Manual TT engines" but the information is there.
5. If your turbos on the 5-spd engine are still good and you're going to do the timing belt anyway then swap the turbos and cams from your 5-spd engine and you have yourself a 5-spd engine. If you don't then your ECU being tuned for different cam profiles will cause your power output and likely driveabilty to suffer.
6. History shows that doing anything to a Z32 on the cheap cascades into more money or more labor later. I don't know your situation but if you can afford to spend the money AT LEAST get new OEM cartridges for your turbos (don't buy the cheap knockoffs or ones that were rebuilt by someone other than a SPECIALTY turbo shop), you'll be doing yourself an enormous favor because when the turbos go the engine or the heads have to come out.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

What is wrong with your original engine that you need to swap?

Vhenom123

Car was having low compression and having injector problems but then got them replaced. Car was running fine then all the sudden the next morning it wouldn't start. First I took it to a shop and we originally thought it skipped time and bent the valves but then when we took a look at the timing belt it was still in time. So then the mechanic said it was probably an injector got stuck open and flooded the chambers and ruined the cylinders. Car is currently in my driveway with the engine pulled out. Now I am deciding how to proceed, any advice is extremely welcome.

NolimitZ32

If you've already written off the engine (which it sounds like you have) crack it open, pull the heads and see what you find. If for no other reason than to gain the experience. Taking stuff apart is both fun and educational. Where are you located?

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”