automatic 240sx autoxing :) - overdrive on/off question

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

I was @ autoxing school on Sunday, had a blast - first time, yippee, and yea I drive an auto... ok, moving on.

Ok, here is my question.

Does anyone know if I leave it in d2 (as opposed to reg d) & have overdrive on, if it will shift in and out of overdrive or would ever even get into overdrive? There were a few times when I felt the car shift down as if I was in overdrive and it kicked it out of overdrive.

I had thought overdrive only affected d3 -> overdrive, and not d2.

Because of the way my car is setup right now, I can't turn the overdrive on and off while driving because of the location of the wires etc (I moved some stuff around).

THANKS!

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

I really wouldn't think it would go into overdrive....unless they programed something into the computer to stop it from bouncing off the rev limiter...you sure it wasn't just shifting down into first? you could try putting it in Manuel 2 and going some were secluded and slowing going through the rpms a couple of times using light throttle, mid throttle, wot ect...see if it shifts into overdrive at high rpms when you let off the gas. When I have a chance Ill see If I can make sense of the hydraulic diagram in the fsm and see if there is any fluid going to the overdrive clutches when in M1/M2....

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

Yea, it could have downshifted to first... I'm not sure - it happens right around flooring it at about 20-30mph (from what I noticed during the split second I was able to look @ my rpms/speedo).

I've just never launched from D1 bcs of ppl's recommendation of just straight up not doing it, haha - so I don't know how high it goes.

I'll definately go again and test it in a secluded lot to see what's going on.. I'm still recovering from the exhausting weekend, hehe.

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

from what I know about autos I would just launch and drive in M2(does Nissan call it D2? my only real experience with autos was a Toyota class I took on them)...2nd should be all you need for autox, and you want the high/rev (been a while, but I think its high reverse) clutch to apply rather then just using the one way clutch so you have compression braking....as I was saying I would just throw it in M2 hold the brake and then rev it up to what ever you find to be best then let go of the brake and get to it...I don't think Ive ever actually gotten a look in at the gages other then when Ive spun....

driftin2trance
Car: 96 240sx

when i did autox in mine when it was still an auto, was that i just put it in 2nd (D2). it worked fine and i never needed anymore than that.

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”