Autocrossed the Versa today

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

And wow, was it a whole different experience.

Mostly due to the electric p/s pump. On a mechanical pump, when your RPMs drop, so does the hydraulic pressure in your system. People know this, anticipate it and increase the amount of force they use on the steering wheel to compensate for it.

But with the perfectly steady pressure in the V, it took me two runs to train my arms NOT to yank on the wheel when turning at low speeds.

The V was VERY consistent from run-to-run. It would have fared better had its driver been more consistent, but it was a very technical course on a VERY awkward and uneven lot.... I never was able to get a rhythm down, and ended up improving only a half second from my first through fourth runs.

Oh, and the OE tires super-suck for autocross, but I expected that.

(I didn't take my XT6 today because I injured my shifting shoulder, and the XT6 has a very heavy shifter... the V has a very light one)

Elmojo
Car: 2007 Versa SL

Sounds like fun. I may give that a shot sometime in the near future.Your V is still stock, right?I imagine some decent rubber and lowering springs would make a world of difference. I plan to go with Toyo Proxes4's if I can still find them when these Conti's wear out.

Ever Victorious

Yeah, I have no mods that would affect its handling or speed.

Cause tint doesn't give 5 extra HP, yo.

It was a fun day, overall. Got all my runs in before it started raining too hard.

I'll see how I did when the results are posted. By far I had the worst tires in-class, so I don't expect victory. I'm just hoping I didn't get dead last.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

How were the body roll and pitch damping?

Ever Victorious

MinisterofDOOM wrote:How were the body roll and pitch damping?
Not having a camera set on me, I couldn't tell you. It's really hard to judge those things, especially when half of the turns are off-camber themselves.

Ever Victorious

So... guess where I was?

DEAD LAST! hehehe.. But not by much. They miscalculated my PAX(for some reason they calculated me as a Subaru WRX), but when you correctly PAX it, if I was just a half second faster I would have taken 13th place. Not bad for me being clumsy.

c5neb
Car: 2007 Fresh Powder Versa SL

At least you had fun and the V and you are safe for another run........now for the drag strip!!

Return to “Versa General Chat”