Autocross

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
Rayleed007
Car: 2012 Nissan Versa hatch 6speed

Has anyone else set up a versa for autocross?

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Welcome to NICO Club!

I could move this to the Versa section, since it's vehicle specific. Would you like me to do that?

I like the idea and yet I haven't heard or read of anyone doing it yet. The thing with AutoX is that any car can do it and any car can have fun doing it. I say, just do it. Sign up, pay the fee, pass tech because it's all stock, go and have fun! Once you toss the thing around a weekend or two, you'll realize you have room to improve (yes, you). Most of the improvement for AutoX is you the driver. Having decent tires is a great upgrade for any car. Number one in upgrades. Brakes are probably fine. There's a lot of body roll in a Versa and you may find you want to flatten out the ride a bit. Dampers and a stiffer sway on the front maybe would help there.
However, the way engineers design steering and suspension geometry, you will notice that some body roll is actually a good thing for traction. AutoX is you vs the clock, no one else. Work on improving your time until you plateau. Then maybe buy some parts or even borrow a friends car for a new feel.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

We've had a few Versas come out and race at NICOfest Carlisle on our Autocross track. They definitely aren't the worst!
As mentioned previously, tires (and a proper alignment) are probably the best thing you can do for the car on the track. We typically run just a "raw" time at our track, however SCCA runs a "PAX" time that includes handicap based on the car you drive and the modification it has (or doesn't have). If you're racing SCCA and actually care about your PAX time vs other people's PAX time, you should look in to what is allowed within your class and what is not (before moving you up to a different bracket).

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Correct^. Good ways to describe them. You'll have tons of fun tossing a versa around a tight autocross course. I'm confident you'd smile doing it. You'll find base Versi are peppy compared to their direct competition, like a Chevy Spark. Their handling is predictable, about average for the type of car it is. I'd give the Spark a very small edge in the handling dept, (just my opinion) but it's certainly not a huge advantage. As centralcoaster33 noted, the driver makes the biggest difference in autocross. So I say take it to the course and enjoy! And if you're anywhere near Carlisle PA in May, please join us for the annual NICO autocross weekend. unlimited # runs over 3 days, no special requirements or specs.

Return to “General Chat”