auto x and me!

All over the world, Nissan products are involved in road racing, track days, time attack and autocross.
jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Well I have only been out chasing cones once in my 350z and once back when I had the Spec V. I did pretty good both times. In the Spec V it was all about not pushing through every curve. The Z is a whole new kind of monster. I had 4 clean runs (4 out of 5) and got a 1st place glass. It is so much Fun and keep you smiling from ear to ear.

nismofly
Car: 89 S13 Hatch

i need to get my springs/shocks before i can take this car out...something happend with one of my spring perches

i just remember taking out my miata and having a blast

Axel Grungy
Car: 2001 G20 5spd

miatas are autox monsters

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

you know, i have never autocrossed. i need to try it out as it seems quite a bit cheaper than road racing.

Joe

its also quite a bit less fun.

ive never been a big autocross fan. when there is one near me i might go to use it as a shakedown for the car or something like that but ill never get big into it. why you ask? because at the end of the day its 3-5 minutes of actual driving time, around cones in a parking lot, for 20-30$. just not worth it.

nismofly

yeah technically an hpde weekend is much more bang for your buck...like $350 for 4 hours of track time

jEzTeR

auto x is a good step into road racing.

It is much cheaper and not as potentially destructive to your car.

I know a lot of people who do both. They auto x every Sunday and then like once every other month try and do some road racing.

I think that the $25~$30 is well worth the 8-10 min of race time, compared to the same cost to drag race which is just a straight line and is over in seconds.

nismofly

well yes, and auto-x is a step above drag racing on the pyramid

whatever happened to that thread anyway?

anyway its a good first step, but if you only occasionally can make it to a road course its also a very good way to keep your skills up

i talked to a guy out west somewhere that had bill auberlen (bmw touring cars, le mans, etc...) come to an autocross in his built m3 street car

he says everyone was in awe watching him on course

Axel Grungy
Car: 2001 G20 5spd

yeah autox track time does kinda blow, most of our courses are >1min and we only get maybe 5 runs. but hey its fun and you learn alot about your car, but around here theres not much alternative cept mid ohio.

jEzTeR

We have a great group here. Most of ours are more like 1.5min~2min.The best is Ft. Knox which is a old airstrip.

chattanoogarebel
Car: 240sx

I'm fairly new to the club, and I understand both sides of this, but it cant be said that autox is a "waste" of time. Its not for every1 but if youre into driving its invaluable experience, because in my opinion it not only teaches you what to do in a givin situation, it also teaches 1 what not to do, so I fail to see the "waste". uhaha Just my opinion.

eddiec
Car: 91 S13

fort knox is a good place to go. the time i went it rained early morning and ut a damper on some of the fun.

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

s13sr20chris wrote:you know, i have never autocrossed. i need to try it out as it seems quite a bit cheaper than road racing.
It's defnitely worth trying, lotsa fun, and safer, but you don't get much beyond 2nd gear.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Axel Grungy wrote:yeah autox track time does kinda blow, most of our courses are >1min and we only get maybe 5 runs. but hey its fun and you learn alot about your car, but around here theres not much alternative cept mid ohio.
How'bout BeaveRun? Fun track.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

nismofly wrote:yeah technically an hpde weekend is much more bang for your buck...like $350 for 4 hours of track time
So true. HPDE is a better much bang for the driving buck. A whole lot more seat time, plus classroom time. Then Toss in free rides in instructor cars, most of which are worth the cost of admission by itself, plus a free meal and event shirt, and it's a bargain. As far as wear and tear on your car. If you think about it, Autocross is actually more abusive, it just doesn't seem that way because you're driving in small 2 minute bursts. HPDE are usually nonstop 30-40 minute lapping sessions. Try Autocrossing for 4 hours straight and run your car on a road race course for 4 hours then compare.

I think autocross is awesome fun, and if you have limited time, it makes an terrific day.

Vettedrmr

Bubba1 wrote:Try Autocrossing for 4 hours straight and run your car on a road race course for 4 hours then compare.

I think autocross is awesome fun, and if you have limited time, it makes an terrific day.
Yeah, but you're comparing apples and broccoli. Tracking a car puts a tremendous heat load into everything: not just engine, but tranny, differential, brakes (obviously), power steering, wheel hubs, dust boots on the suspension parts, etc.

When I'm at a DE I only run about 8/10s, because the consequence for going 10/10s can be so severe, e.g., DEATH (I know of two that have happened in the last month). So, I go 8/10s, have fun, and take it pretty easy.

Now, autocross? Let the fangs out! The worst thing that usually happens is a DNF and a lot of people laughing at you! Plus there's the competition, measuring yourself up against others in your class.

My son turns 16 in a month, and both of us can't wait until he gets out on the course.

Have a good one,Mike

jEzTeR

Great post and I love the C5.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Vettedrmr wrote:
Yeah, but you're comparing apples and broccoli. Tracking a car puts a tremendous heat load into everything: not just engine, but tranny, differential, brakes (obviously), power steering, wheel hubs, dust boots on the suspension parts, etc.

When I'm at a DE I only run about 8/10s, because the consequence for going 10/10s can be so severe, e.g., DEATH (I know of two that have happened in the last month). So, I go 8/10s, have fun, and take it pretty easy.

Now, autocross? Let the fangs out! The worst thing that usually happens is a DNF and a lot of people laughing at you! Plus there's the competition, measuring yourself up against others in your class.

My son turns 16 in a month, and both of us can't wait until he gets out on the course.

Have a good one,Mike
I'll bet your son has his sights on driving that nice Vette. I also run 8/10 at HPDE's as I don't trailer my car, so it has to be driveable home. I think we're looking at autocross vs hpde from different perspectives. My point was if you put the same mileage autocrossing as lapping, the autocrossing is actually more abusive. It doesn't seem that way because autocross sessions are so brief in comparison to HPDE lapping sessions. But I do agree with what you said.Regards.

ForsakenTH
Car: Nissan S14 Zenki

i think they both have there goods and bads...track is a lot of fun cause of the speed and the amount of track time but you can kill your car too

auto-x is just as bad...i saw a GTO throw a rod and countless other cars kill themselves in auto-x. just think...you driving high RPMs in 1st and maybe 2nd gear...and the revs are bouncing up and down. its bad for your car too. auto-x offers something that track doesnt have though and thats reflexes...it takes fast movement to get yourself around a tight course.

unichi

I guess the important part of this whole thread is that auto-x teaches you amazing car handling skills in a very low risk environment. If you're worried about wearing your car out too much I think you shouldn't be racing in the first place.

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

unichi wrote: If you're worried about wearing your car out too much I think you shouldn't be racing in the first place.
THANK YOU. So true. Drive your car hard enough and long enough and something is going to give. Maintain it well and drive 8/10ths and it'll last a long time though. I bought Bubba1's 240 a couple of years ago which he tracked ??? times and it's still running strong at 226,000 miles. Of course, right now it's tucked away in my garage until I get done with this OIF deployment. Then it's on!

repo

Vettedrmr

Bubba1 wrote:I'll bet your son has his sights on driving that nice Vette. I also run 8/10 at HPDE's as I don't trailer my car, so it has to be driveable home. I think we're looking at autocross vs hpde from different perspectives. My point was if you put the same mileage autocrossing as lapping, the autocrossing is actually more abusive. It doesn't seem that way because autocross sessions are so brief in comparison to HPDE lapping sessions. But I do agree with what you said.Regards.
I think we'd have a great time together at either kind of event.

My son has already gone out twice with an instructor in the Vette; due to work conflicts looks like the first event we're going to be able to take both our cars to is in October.

Have a good one,Mike

Return to “Nissan Road Racing / Auto X Forum”