Auto wipers not working

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

My 2012 M37 that I just picked up last week has an issue with the auto wipers. When put in the Auto position, the wipers make one wipe and then they do nothing despite pouring down rain. I need to use Low or High mode to make them useful which is obnoxious.

As far as I can tell, it is the original windshield, but I'm not sure how to check this. The windshield is clean and no finger prints, dirt, etc. is around the sensor location.

Ideas?

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

Might help you...

From the Factory Service Manual:

Check Fuse:
1. Turn the ignition switch off.
2. Check 10A fuse, [No. 6 located in fuse block (J/B)]

ArmedAviator

I looked through the Owners Manual for a depiction of the fuses and can't find one. Which fuse box is #6 in? (Not sure what J/B means, also)

adeedpb
Car: 2012 M56
2005 BMW X5 4.4i
2005 G35 Sedan - SOLD
1995 Ford Taurus SHO (Supercharged) - SOLD

It means Junction Box... It should be in the fuses under the driver side to the left of the brake against the wall. There is a panel you need to remove.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Not sure if you are aware but you also adjust the sensitivity of the rain sensor by turning the wiper speed dial up and down.

ArmedAviator

Yes I am aware. No matter what setting, the auto wipers do not work despite pouring down, thinderstorm rain. Fuse looks good.

ArmedAviator

Let me rephrase... The fuse is actually one of the switch things that the factory pulls out (off) during shipping. I pulled it out and pushed it in a few times. It doesn't seem to come off completely...atleast that I've found a way to do.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

The rain sense wipers, as you know, use a sensor on the windscreen. If you look at the sensor from the outside, there should be a small area around the sensor and it cannopt have even one bubble in the gel that surrounds it. Sometimes people try to replace the sensor and do not do it correctly. It took me two tries to get it right. If the area is not unbiform. it may need to be removed, refilled with media (special liquid) and replaced. Not an expensive thing to do. There are videos on You Tube.
Second idea is to remove the black plastic housing found between the rear view mirror and the windscreen. It simply pulls off. Make sure nobody unplugged the sensor to cancel the rain sense system.

ArmedAviator

I looked at the rain sensor when I cleaned the exterior of the window, and I do remember seeing what looked like bubbles, or atleast abnormalities in the media.

Is this what I can expect to do? It sure does seem pretty easy... Must be a catch.

Larz

ArmedAviator wrote:I looked at the rain sensor when I cleaned the exterior of the window, and I do remember seeing what looked like bubbles, or atleast abnormalities in the media.

Is this what I can expect to do? It sure does seem pretty easy... Must be a catch.
That is the best video I've seen on how to replace the gel. The tricky part is that there can be no residue of old gel on the glass or the black plastice surrounding the sensor lens and it can be a bit bothersome to remove the old gel. You must be sure to add the gel VERY slowly so it doesn't spill over the edge of the sensor and into that little well. The gel is not expensive, but the sensor IS !

ArmedAviator

Before I order this gel stuff, the black plastic just pulls off around the sensor so I can ensure the connector is properly plugged in?

Larz

Yes. Remove the outer plastic cover - it just pulls off. You should be able to see the cable that plugs into the gizmo without actually pulling the sensor itself from its holder. If the cable is plugged in, then your trouble is probably the gel and you will need to pull the sensor from it's holder. It's a bit of a bother to remove all the old gel and residue from the sensor and the inner surface of the windscreen. It sort of 'rolls up' with your finger tip and then you can pull it off in pieces. After you get all the residue off clean the areas well so the surface on the windscreen is smooth and clean.
Also, make sure the sensor is sitting on a completely level surface when squeezing the new gel onto it. Just go VERY slow and you will notice the gel slowly leveling itself as it sits.
On my first try, I added the gel too quickly and as it settled, it ran over the edge and into the sensor itself. I had to re-clean it and buy a second kit. Make sure you fill it enough that it sits higher than the surrounding areas as in the video and allow the gel to set (10-15 minutes in sunlight) before you push the sensor back into it's holder against the glass. Otherwise, when you tilt the sensor, the gel will slide around and drip off the edges.

InfinitiAce
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 w/ premium, touring, technology
2012 Infiniti M37 w/ premium, touring

I have the exact same problem. The wipers only go once and will not go again no matter what. I took it to the dealer. Basically, when the windshield was replaced, someone put on a M35 windshield instead. They apparently are the same, except the M35 windshield blocks the sensor on my M37. You might have a similar problem. Or maybe you need to remove and re-gel your sensor.

It doesn't seem like not having rain sensing wipers would be a big deal, but it is. There are only like 4 speed settings in manual mode. The wipers are always too slow or too fast. I basically have to manually hit the switch every time. It is so annoying. I am thinking of replacing my windshield. Luckily I live in SoCal and it never rains!

ArmedAviator

Had a chance today to pull the cover and look into this issue.

Turns out the windshield had been replaced. The glass is XYG brand, which seems to be shoddy Chinese glass. The gel on the sensor was not even, was bubbly....awful. There are two other sensors there - what are those? The bracket for one is bent - I'll try to fix that now. I removed the gel from the rain sensor and ordered the GGS 901 gel kit from Amazon.

Hopefully it works with this glass.....

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Luxuary car owner problems. Mo money features mo problems. :chuckle:

ArmedAviator

I tried to clean up the glass under the sensor best I could. Unfortunately there is something permanently on the area of glass - an imperfect spray of something. I have been trying to pick it off with my nail but it's definitely not working. I tried 100% acetone as well. No luck. This really pisses me off...not that I can't use automatic wipers, but that I can't have intermittent wipers.

I will try new gel when it arrives anyway, but I am not too hopeful at this point in time...

Is there any device that will simulate the output of a rain sensor with rain? A rain sensor version of an O2 sensor simulator? Atleast that way I'd be able to get some sort of working intermittent wipers by adjusting the sensitivity setting on the multifunction switch.

Larz

Maybe try a product called "goof off" available from Home Depot. That usually removes anything stubborn but keep the windows down and the car out doors when using it as this stuff has a very strong, offensive smell. And chuck the rag you use it with because that smell will fill your garage in an hour if you leave the rag lying about. I put the rag inside a plastic bag and put it in the outdoor trash can.
I was never a fan of rain sense wipers. I rather fancy the old school intermittent system but that isn't available on models with rain sense. My Escalade allowed either / or but Infiniti gives you no choice. I have since gotten used to them, but I still growl when out of the blue, it senses extra water on that area of the windscreen and the wipers go bonkers for a few secs before going back to intermittent.

ArmedAviator

I didn't get the junk off the window where the sensor goes - it seems to be overspray from the black-out the window manufacturer puts on.

I did use the GGG kit mentioned above and it WORKED atleast with preliminary (water bottle) tests. Once it starts raining again, I'll know for sure, but this may have taken care of the issue.

denthomp
Car: 2010 Nissan Qashqai

Hi I’m getting no response at all from my 2010 Auto/intermittent wipers other than when I switch to the next lower setting I get one wipe. Is there a way of disabling it altogether and just having a regular intermittent wipe? I wouldn’t mind if it was just one setting even! Even pouring rain isn’t doing anything and not sure if it’s the sensor, gel, controls or a fuse - any easy ways to diagnose where the problem is? Thanks all!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

denthomp wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:03 am
Hi I’m getting no response at all from my 2010 Auto/intermittent wipers other than when I switch to the next lower setting I get one wipe. Is there a way of disabling it altogether and just having a regular intermittent wipe? I wouldn’t mind if it was just one setting even! Even pouring rain isn’t doing anything and not sure if it’s the sensor, gel, controls or a fuse - any easy ways to diagnose where the problem is? Thanks all!
It's not clear from your post whether it's just the Auto position that doesn't work or your wipers generally. If it's the latter then it sounds like the wiper stalk in your Combination Switch is shot. To get rid of Auto permanently, the best method is actually to replace the wiper stalk with a non-Auto version, that way the BCM will never get an Auto signal and it will permanently ignore the sensor.

denthomp
Car: 2010 Nissan Qashqai

Hi wipers work fine otherwise, would I need Nissan to do that work as not sure if that sounds as simple as me just unplugging one stalk and plugging in a non auto one? Happy to do work myself but wouldn’t want to cause more problems!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

denthomp wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:45 am
Hi wipers work fine otherwise, would I need Nissan to do that work as not sure if that sounds as simple as me just unplugging one stalk and plugging in a non auto one? Happy to do work myself but wouldn’t want to cause more problems!
Yep, it's just plugging in a different stalk. The column cover has to come off (3 or 4 screws) and then there are simply two pawls holding the stalk in. Easy-peasy.

LeeDr
Car: 2014 Infiniti QX60

There is a way for the dealer to disable the rain sensor and have 4 positions of regular intermittent wipers. I just had it done today after suffering years with this problem post6852811.html#p6852811

Cpack2378
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37

do you know which car stalk works with the m37 that will get rid of the auto wiper?

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”