auto transmission shifting issue

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
kam4726
Car: nissan versa 2007

I had my car in "P" and it did't start. I moved the shifter to the front a bit and car started no problem. 2nd thing is that when i move from "P" to "D" it is a bit stiff. shifting from D to N does not require any force to move it (i could just slightly move it and it's in N-like it's loose or something and you could actually feel some play in it) .It does not have that "click" between D and N. Seems like the shifter cannot find the place to "pop" into. The same issue when shifting down from 2 to D and 1 to 2. When i move from P to 2 by skipping D and put it back to D , shifting back to N has a "click"present.
It's like the shifter can't find its spot to pop into while shifting to a lower gear. any input would be appreciated

MaximA32

Just sounds like something may have come loose or is on the verge of breaking within the shift mechanism. Have you pulled the covers off and taken a look?

kam4726
Car: nissan versa 2007

Not yet ,but will sure do it though. I just hope it's not a transmission itself. I didn't notice anything unusual in speed changing or jerking of any sort when transmission changes gears-that's all fine . Car was shifting a bit stiff from "park" to "drive" since i got it, but i had nothing to compare it to since i was draving a manual all my life. When it is in P and it does not start , its like it's not fully in P possition ,and i have to move it a bit so it recognizes it as P. The same is with higher gears when downshifting. Will check the shifting mechanism asap.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”