auto start

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
spicekay
Car: Rogue

auto start

Postby spicekay » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:29 am

Does anyone know if its possible to get auto start on the Rogue SL?

I am not sure how that will work with the intelli key system. Auto start is a life saver in cold months..even in hot weather as you could leave the AC on and it will cool the car down by the time you get in.

sjed

Re: auto start (spicekay)

Postby sjed » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:31 am

Good question. My wife wants remote start on her new Rogue. I know the Rogue is new but I believe they have the same inteligent key system for the Murano. If we can't get the answer here, we may get it in the Murano forum.

Indiana Jones

Postby Indiana Jones » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:45 pm

You CAN have a remote start in a keyless start vehicle. My husband had Nissan put one in his 2007 Altima before he drove it off the lot. Nissan said it was a challenge, but they got it done and it works like a dream. I plan on having one put in my Rogue.

philipa_240sx

Postby philipa_240sx » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:41 pm

I'm not a big fan of remote starters (wastes $$$ gas and it takes a long time to warm up). However they can be done by experienced installers.

I use a simpler alternative: A 120V heater specifically made for cars:

http://www.shoptoit.ca/shop/pr....html

(Curiously I have not found a similar product in the US, I guess us Canadians use stuff like this more often)

I made mine portable with hooks to hang it from the seat. I set it on a timer (usually an hour before I leave) and it gets warm enough to melt the ice, frost, and snow from the windows... and take the chill off the inside. Best of all I can move it between cars and it costs only a few cents a day to operate.

spicekay

Re: auto start (philipa_240sx)

Postby spicekay » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:01 am

Yea but isnt that just warming up the interior of the car and not the engine itself?

Anyone installed remote start on their Rogue as yet?

philipa_240sx

Postby philipa_240sx » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:13 pm

spicekay wrote:Yea but isnt that just warming up the interior of the car and not the engine itself?

Anyone installed remote start on their Rogue as yet?
Yes, it only warms the interior. But that is the point. If I need to warm the engine on very cold days, I use the block heater. Thankfully my '03 Altima came with one as standard equipment.

Running the engine for a long enough period will warm it up, but it does nothing for warming the transmission and the rest of the driveline. I still follow the rule of letting it idle for 2-3 min then gently driving it for the first few minutes. The engine warms much faster this way and pollutes far less than a 15min idle.

NYNISSAN
Car: ALL OF EM

Re: auto start (philipa_240sx)

Postby NYNISSAN » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:28 pm

Yes we did it thru an aftermarket vender its a bit pricy around 350 because of the intelligent key.

spicekay

Re: auto start (NYNISSAN)

Postby spicekay » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:37 pm

$350 doesnt sound as bad as the over $400 that my nissan told me it MAY cost. They haven't done one on the Rogue yet.

How does the auto start works with the intelli key? Do they give you another key?

fairges
Car: 2008 Rogue

Postby fairges » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:02 am

Picked up the Rogue earlier in the week (replacing 2005 Pathfinder). I had the dealer install the auto start ($449, but worth it to me to know that the dealer installed it and it's their problem if any issues arise).

To start the car, you use the same intelligent key and hit the lock button twice. Once you enter the car, you step on the brake and the engine shuts off, at which point you must start the engine again. Doesn't seem too intelligent...but I guess they need to have something to work on. Beats getting into a cold car.

When entering the Pathifinder, you just inserted the key and turned it forward.

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Re: auto start (fairges)

Postby nissantech06 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:59 am

fairges wrote:Picked up the Rogue earlier in the week (replacing 2005 Pathfinder). I had the dealer install the auto start ($449, but worth it to me to know that the dealer installed it and it's their problem if any issues arise).

To start the car, you use the same intelligent key and hit the lock button twice. Once you enter the car, you step on the brake and the engine shuts off, at which point you must start the engine again. Doesn't seem too intelligent...but I guess they need to have something to work on. Beats getting into a cold car.

That's because it's an aftermarket accessory and not a dealer-installed option. We sublet all of our remote starts to a place across the street. The reason you have to step on the brake is because of the intelligent key. It was never made to handle remote starts, since ZERO cars come with them from the factory.

PINODY

Re: auto start (nissantech06)

Postby PINODY » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:17 pm

After Auto-Starting the RO, unlock and enter, then turn the ignition to the "ON" position ... then you should be good to go. That's how it works in our FX with the intelligent key. These are about the best on the market ... http://directed.com/

nissantech06
Car: 2007 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Re: auto start (PINODY)

Postby nissantech06 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:21 pm

PINODY wrote:After Auto-Starting the RO, unlock and enter, then turn the ignition to the "ON" position ... then you should be good to go. That's how it works in our FX with the intelligent key. These are about the best on the market ... http://directed.com/
The Rogue's I-Key system is different than the FX. We actually had a customer come in and complain about having to hit the brake pedal, so the manager of the store we sent it to that installed it came over and showed her that you can't simply turn the ignition to run, because once you hit the brake, the car shuts off.

spicekay

Re: auto start (nissantech06)

Postby spicekay » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:36 pm

What is the general/average price that Nissan is charging to install remote starts?

spicekay

Postby spicekay » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:59 pm

I got the remote start on my car at a Nissan dealer for $295. Three other dealers quoted me prices at $499 upwards.

I have to step on the brake when I get in the car to shut it down then start it again. This is for security purposes so someone else can't drive off with it.

I also learnt something else today.If I press the outside button on the door twice then the car started up, I pressed it once more and it shut off. I was surprised as it happened by accident

lozen13

Postby lozen13 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:30 pm

I bought one this week for $150 plus $100 for the intelli key and $150 for install. So $400. Getting it installed next Tuesday. Need it this week as Canada is in a deep freeze Highs this week -14

lozen13

Re: auto start (lozen13)

Postby lozen13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:29 pm

I had the command start installed also today. I too have to step on the brake to restart as well as get out of the vehicle nad walk around it first counterclockwise. Very strange

spicekay

Postby spicekay » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:46 pm

You had to get out of the vehicle and walk around it clockwise? Are you serious? Did you have to do that before you were able to start it? Was that a one time time or you have to do that everytime?..hmm thats kinda spooky

lozen13

Postby lozen13 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:38 pm

spicekay wrote:You had to get out of the vehicle and walk around it clockwise? Are you serious? Did you have to do that before you were able to start it? Was that a one time time or you have to do that everytime?..hmm thats kinda spooky
It was my attempt at humor. No i just have to hit the brake and restart. I thought you New Yorkers were wiser

spicekay

Postby spicekay » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:12 pm

You are crazy:) Its too cold here to be humorous now. The very thought of walking around a car in the cold gives us the creeps..we barely want to walk ouside to get to the car

philipa_240sx

Postby philipa_240sx » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:26 am

For those considering or already have 'auto start systems':

Natural Resources Canada published some interesting information regarding engine idling to warm up your vehicle:

Quote »If every driver of a light duty vehicle avoided idling by five minutes a day, collectively, we would save 1.8 million litres per day of fuel, almost 4500 tonnes of GHG emissions, and $1.7 million in fuel costs everyday (assuming fuel costs are $0.95/L).

There is lots of opportunity to achieve that goal. Research indicates that Canadian motorists idle their vehicles an average of 5 to 10 minutes a day. One study suggests that in the peak of winter, Canadians voluntarily idle their vehicles for a combined total of more than 75 million minutes a day – equivalent to one vehicle idling for 144 years! We idle about 40 percent less in summer, but it still amounts to an enormous waste of fuel and money.[/quote]Quote »News Flash! Idling Is Not Good for Your Engine

Perhaps the greatest myth about idling is that it's good for the engine. The truth is that excessive idling can actually damage a vehicle's engine.

Contrary to popular belief, idling is not an effective way to warm up a vehicle, even in cold weather. The best way to do this is to drive the vehicle. Today's electronically controlled engines allow you to drive away after only 30 seconds of idling, even on the coldest winter days.

Excessive idling can be a problem for a few reasons:

* First, since an idling engine is not operating at its peak temperature, fuel combustion is incomplete. * As a result, fuel residues can condense on cylinder walls, contaminate oil and damage engine components. For example, these residues tend to deposit on spark plugs. With more engine idling there is a drop in the average plug temperature and accelerated plug fouling. This can increase fuel consumption by 4 to 5 percent. * Excessive idling can cause water to condense in the vehicle's exhaust. This can lead to corrosion and reduce the life of the exhaust system.

There's another good reason for motorists to drive away soon after starting a vehicle. The engine is only one component of a vehicle. Other parts, such as the wheel bearings, steering, suspension, transmission and tires, also need to be warmed up, and the only way to do that is to get the vehicle moving.[/quote]http://www.oee.nrcan.gc.ca/tra...ttr=8

XbRogue

Postby XbRogue » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:56 am

Both the Nissan and Toyota Dealer i go to, installs remote stat on all vehicles when it gets delivered... I have remote start on the intelligent key.. Its Lock, unlock, lock.. But I noticed it turns off when you enter the car, and have to start it again..

92hatchattack
Car: 2008 Indigo Blue Nissan Rogue

Re: (XbRogue)

Postby 92hatchattack » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:12 am

there must be something we are missing here. The car turning off when the brake is stepped on as a security reason is a poor excuse. Sure, if someone got inside your car and went to drive off, yes the car should shut off when the brake is hit. But if the car realizes that you are inside it, with the inteligent key.... well, thats your security right there.. There should be no real reason the car needs to turn off if you have the inteligent key with you... right???

spicekay

Re: (92hatchattack)

Postby spicekay » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:53 am

In all fairness, Nissan is not the only one that does this. My hubby's honda accord does the same thing..step on brake to shut off when you get in then restart.

lou from ny

Re: (spicekay)

Postby lou from ny » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:41 pm

i just got a remote start installed by the stealer. they were actually really nice. i have to enter the car, tap the brake to kill the engine and restart. i don't mind doing it as long as i know it's the right procedure. it could make cold winters not so cold, so i'm happylou

koolyce
Car: Rogue SL AWD 2009

Re: (lou from ny)

Postby koolyce » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:34 pm

lou from ny wrote:i just got a remote start installed by the stealer. they were actually really nice. i have to enter the car, tap the brake to kill the engine and restart. i don't mind doing it as long as i know it's the right procedure. it could make cold winters not so cold, so i'm happylou
You need to stop the car to start it again?

It is the one installed by Nissan dealer?

I bought mine when I bought my Rogue and I don't need to stop the car and start it again.

What I do is: Start the car by remote. Use in intelligent key to enter the car. Turn on the car by turn the starter, press the brake and put in D or R and I'm ready.

Never my car stop to be started again after a remote start.

bill875
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Indigo Blue / Premium Package / Fully Loaded

Re: (koolyce)

Postby bill875 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:21 pm

koolyce, can you tell me what remote start system you have? I have a Hornet 564T and I have to tap the break to cut the engine, then wait 3 seconds and start the car. The Hornet 564T is also an alarm, so you have to unlock the car with the alarm/remote start transmitter.

koolyce

Re: (bill875)

Postby koolyce » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:39 am

bill875 wrote:koolyce, can you tell me what remote start system you have? I have a Hornet 564T and I have to tap the break to cut the engine, then wait 3 seconds and start the car. The Hornet 564T is also an alarm, so you have to unlock the car with the alarm/remote start transmitter.
I need to ask the dealer because I don't know the brand.

But one thing I'm sure, mine is only a auto start, not a alarm and this is probably the difference.

My key remote is so small with only one button. I will try to post a pic of my key remote.

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

Re: (koolyce)

Postby zengshengliu » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:08 am

I installed mine at the dealer and I also have to kill the engine before restarting the car. Maybe it just the dealer you went to got the newer type of remove start

rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

Re: auto start (fairges)

Postby rjchoops » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:25 am

fairges wrote:Picked up the Rogue earlier in the week (replacing 2005 Pathfinder). I had the dealer install the auto start ($449, but worth it to me to know that the dealer installed it and it's their problem if any issues arise).

What is the Brand and model number of your remote start? What is your dealers name and phone number?

I would like a remote start that does use the the intelligent key by itself.

koolyce

Re: auto start (rjchoops)

Postby koolyce » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:22 am

Hi rjchoops,

It is normal that if you hit the brake before your turn the ignition to ON, the car will stop.

Have your try your auto start, enter the car and turn the ignition to ON and after, you hit the brake?

Return to “Rogue Forum”