Auto or Manual?

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
2.3vtec

I'm looking to purchase a G35 very soon and the only problem that I am having right now is deciding on whether to get the auto or manual. For those of you with the manual 6 speed, do you think that maybe you wish you would have ever gotten the auto?

I have test driven the auto and I still thought the power was awesome! I have a 5 speed right now and sometimes when driving in the city or in town I wish I had the still had the auto (used to be auto but converted to manual with swap!:D )

I know that only about 1500 of the 2003 models came with the 6speed and the only thing that I can think of is that because this car is considered to be a luxury vehicle that no one will want to buy a 6speed later on when I decide to sell to get one of the all wheel drive models that they are saying will come out:ylsuper . Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input anyone has.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I have the auto and love it, I was sick of a manual. However, the 6mt is very nice. I test drove one and it has nice short shifts. I think that most people around here will say go with the 6mt. However, it is your preference. They are both really nice. Don't forget that the auto does have the tiptronic/manumatic.

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

buy what you want. If you don't have a toy at home, then buy what you want. Who the hell cares if you make a few hundred dollars more at resale time? this car already makes such a good value with its performance/price ratio that resale should not figure into it.

BTW the G35X AWD Sedan will be out in 3 months, so get an order in now. You will see slower acceleration with the awd than the rwd, but nobody knows by how much.

2.3vtec

You mean the G35 coupe is not getting the AWD? Damn, I want the coupe and I thought that they would be the one with the AWD.:mad: I guess there is no reason to wait to buy a coupe then.

Any other thoughts? I currently have a toy that I am still working on and am hoping to get 220-230 hp from the wheels n/a (4 cyl). That car is now a manual and I love it. Just can't decide if my new car should be an auto or not.

Anyone with the manual have any problems so far with the gears? I talked to one guy that told me his car shifted really smoothe for the first few months and that recently it has become more rough. Anyone else?

Thanks for the input.

vq35de

yes, there have been manual tranny problems, but minor. Synchronizers not working properly is about the extent of it. So you get an embarassing grind noise when going into a particular gear too fast.

Infiniti is aware of the problems and has been very good about swapping them out immediately under warranty and have done a very good job of keeping them in stock (usually 1-2 days to arrive)

vq35de

Infiniti's official word on all wheel drive:

http://www.infiniti.com/conten...epage

Stu Segal
Car: G35 Coupe, Silver, Aero / '06 C6 6.0L

I have an automatic in my Coupe - but I wouldn't let the concern that since it's a "luxury" car you may have trouble sellig it stop you from buying a 6MT.

Everybody I've met who has one of these cars is performance minded (regardless that they got auto or mt). I think either version will continue to be popular, and I actually think the 6MT will have a better resale value, as there a relatively few made, and anybody really serious about performance will want the manual.

(And, as a "luxury" car, it really falls quite short of the features in most luxury cars - proximity sensors, driver memory, rain-sensing wioers, et al).

. . .Stu

rydwhite

The car isn't classified as true luxury, but as a near luxury car.

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

Never, ever buy an automatic.

Super Dave

I have had my 6M/T for almost a month now, and I have to tell you I have no regret about my decision. During the wait (I ordered mine) I kept second guessing the decisioin just as u probably are, but then I realized........every time i saw a G, the first thing I looked for was the brakes to see if it was a manual. No disrespect to other G drivers, but I just give more respect to the M/T drivers. I really liked the automatic when I drove it too, but for this kind of car I'm glad I chose the manual. It's a lot of fun too.......especially when you first find that the car can chirp the tires from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

I also prefer the manual quite a bit, but I wont blame anyone for choosing the Auto, its a good and very strong unit (from the 4000lb V8 Q45).

Fred..:)

Super Dave

i love the strong bad icon palm

PalmerWMD

Super Dave wrote:i love the strong bad icon palm

Thanks,

SB rules..

Fred..:D

PalmerWMD

Welcome to all the Newbies!:jazz:

Fred:newbie:

rydwhite

I am just curious as to why exactly so many people dog on the autos. I don't really understand. Is it performanced based, fun based, what?

I have driven plenty of auto and manual and I don't see what the real big difference is either way.

drifter
Car: Drifting, cars, etc.

Automatics lose power through the drivetrain because it shifts at the dumbest times. That's my 2 cents, hahahahaha

PalmerWMD

rydwhite wrote:I am just curious as to why exactly so many people dog on the autos. I don't really understand. Is it performanced based, fun based, what?

A lot of enthusiaist are snobs when it comes to that.

But modern Automatic like in the G35 are very strong and the Tiptronic feature of the G35 Auto still gives you a lot of control.

Fred...:)

Altiman94

I like having full controll over my engine revs, I would much rather be shifting the transmission myself

motordog1

I gave up my 300TT 5sp for my G35. I miss the manual at times but sure enjoy the auto in the Phoenix traffic. If I really want to go fast now I'll just have to do it on two wheels.

rydwhite

All fair answers. Basically what I expected, I was just curious because some people seem to have such a strong attachment to the maunal and such dislike for auto.

There is no doubt about it that there is more control and fun with the manual. But, as a daily driver, it is really nice to have the auto, especially in daily rush hour traffic. I think both have their positives.

I just hope that the people here don't look down on me for having the auto.

pinnech

When shifting my G35 Coupe 6MT above 3500 RPM, I experience a "buzzing" sensation in the clutch pedel, does anyone else have this problem or know the cause?

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

rydwhite wrote:I am just curious as to why exactly so many people dog on the autos. I don't really understand. Is it performanced based, fun based, what?

I have driven plenty of auto and manual and I don't see what the real big difference is either way.

I prefer manual so that I actually have something to push in with my left foot instead of instintively kicking the dead pedal:D

JustinStrife
Car: '99 FRC. 402, Vortech T-Trim @ 12psi = 706rwhp/621rwtq

Mr1der wrote:I prefer manual so that I actually have something to push in with my left foot instead of instintively kicking the dead pedal:D

hehe I agree. I've owned both automatic cars and manuals, and to me it's a no brainer. I live in San Diego and we have our share of traffic, but the fun factor outweighs all else IMHO. :ylsuper to the M/T enthusiasts

JD King
Car: My wife and 2 boys, Auto Racing, just started a new business in home rehab.

I've been a one armed racer for 6 years now and find that the Auto is very capable of the needs of a manual trans junkie like me. The only shortcoming I've found is that you can drop the clutch and do a burnout, not that I would. Other than that, after getting used to each other we get along just fine.I'll be driving it at Summit Point in 2 weeks as an instructor. I'll get back to you on what I think of the auto trans track manners.

:chainsaw

JustinStrife
Car: '99 FRC. 402, Vortech T-Trim @ 12psi = 706rwhp/621rwtq

I almost lost my right leg a year ago in a football accident, and a week after coming home from the hospital(was there for 2 weeks and four operations), I had to force myself to drive to the bank for something that couldn't wait. For once in my life, I was glad my 4x4 chevy was an automatic. I couldn't have left the driveway if it were manual. My right leg was 90% useless. I will give credit where it's due. The automatic transmission saved me alot there.

But when I'm healthy, I prefer the M/T...

Altiman94

I will always prefer a manual. My last car (94 altima) was an automatic, and my 5spd 240sx is 10 times funner to drive. I like the control feeling it gives me

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”